2023 Texas HS BBQ State Competition May 5th

Hotch

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Hotch
The 2023 Texas High School BBQ State Competition will be held at Dell Diamond in Round Rock TX Saturday, May 6th.
There will be 90+ HS BBQ teams there competing!
Lighting the fire starts at 5:00am and protein selection at 6:00am.

Dessert 9:00am
Beans 10:30am
Chicken 12:00pm (Noon)
Ribs 1:30pm
Brisket 3:00

Myself and my wife Shelly, will be there along with the Prosper HS Pitmasters.
We will also be working with SuckleBusters (Major Sponsor of HSBBQ) throughout Friday and Saturday.
If you are able to go, you should.
This young people have put in the work with practice cooks some of the 11 regional comps held all across TX.
If you are interested in being a mentor to a HSBBQ team next season, please let me know.
:mrgreen:

The Outlaw BBQ Association here in Texas allows for a 14 year old head cook as long as a legal guardian is present. So next year we may enter a comp close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those young men have some great mentors.

2023-04-01-018.jpg

It was a great day at the Ben Barber Regional in Mansfield yesterday.
These guys have worked hard this past year to hone their skills at competition BBQ.
This regional was sort of local, 62 miles from Prosper HS where we met up on Friday about 11:00am for the hour plus drive to Mansfield TX with all the gear and the offset smoker in tow. Once there, the team, along with others, sat in on three seminars discussing competition proteins preparation on cooking methods. At 4:30pm we could then unload our gear and our cooker in our 20'x20' area. The team then went to get a bite to eat before the 6:00pm Team meeting and pulling their number for meat selection order.

Early Saturday morning at 3:00am we met up again at the high school to load the coolers and a few other items for the hour drive back. Rolling in at 4:10am then waited till 4:30am to enter the comp area to setup everything for the day's competition and get ready to light the pits at 5:00am.

At 6:00am the chuck wagon bell is rung to signal three things. All mentors, coaches and others must be out of the team's 20'x20' cooking space, go select your proteins and you can now start preparations for your turn ins.

So, after a day winds and challenges, this is the results of their teamwork.
11 Dessert
3 Beans
4 Chicken
4 Ribs
3 Brisket
Grand Champions!!

It was a good ride back to the HS in Prosper!

Next up is the HSBBQ State Competition on May 6th at Dell Diamond in Round Rock TX.
:mrgreen: __________________

Back