1950 refrigerator pellet smoker

hawkdriver9

Name or Nickame
Dan
Guys

I need to talk to anyone whos made a fridge into a smoker. I'm turning a 1950s fridge into a pellet smoker to give to a charity that helps vets with PTSD and provides free counseling. Sorry if this smoker build has already talked about, I cant seem to find anything here to answer my questions. I have concerns on the insulation and the paint! so here are my questions.

#1: I'm planning on pulling out the old insulation on fear it might be asbestos, or is that even anything to worry about? if so, what is a good replacement insolation? I was thinking fiberglass insolation with Durock cement board next to the inner wall as a heat shield between heat chamber and fiberglass. would that work well or is that overkill?

#2: also worried about the possibility the white ceramic paint inside of the fridge, which will be the heated cooking area, might be lead based paint. does anyone know if that is a concern?

If you know that answers to these question please share.

Thanks
Dan

Personally, I would be concerned about using anything not intended to be a smoker as a smoker. The internal materials off-gassing or releasing undesirable chemicals, not being rated for the heat as a potential fire hazard, etc.

Lots of old fridges have been turned into smokers. I always heard you wanted the insulation to be pre-styrofoam and with no plastic inside the fridge.
Check to make sure the shelves aren't galvanized/zinc coated. I'm not sure that's a concern but better safe than sorry.
If the "paint" is ceramic that sounds like it could be porcelain which would be ideal.

Guys

I need to talk to anyone whos made a fridge into a smoker. I'm turning a 1950s fridge into a pellet smoker to give to a charity that helps vets with PTSD and provides free counseling. Sorry if this smoker build has already talked about, I cant seem to find anything here to answer my questions. I have concerns on the insulation and the paint! so here are my questions.

#1: I'm planning on pulling out the old insulation on fear it might be asbestos, or is that even anything to worry about? if so, what is a good replacement insolation? I was thinking fiberglass insolation with Durock cement board next to the inner wall as a heat shield between heat chamber and fiberglass. would that work well or is that overkill?

#2: also worried about the possibility the white ceramic paint inside of the fridge, which will be the heated cooking area, might be lead based paint. does anyone know if that is a concern?

If you know that answers to these question please share.

Thanks
Dan

I did a fridge conversion and used in comps for a bit. Remove EVERYTHING from inside all way down to metal. Use ceramic insulation boards as its easier to get them stand up on vertical smoker compared to rolls. Fab a metal shell to install inside. Insulate door and replace cover with metal.

Mine started as electric then moved to charcoal wood and two doors. Same setup as a Myron h2o cooker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back9Q (and everyone)

Thanks for the info, Yeah I took out all the plastic so only the metal liner is left, the inner shell is all metal, I'm making shelves from expanded metal and angle iron, the paint is white and so super hard it actually hard to drill through (which makes me believe its ceramic).

I was thinking about the same thing you suggested of using ceramic insulation boards but quick question, is normal rolled insolation safe and usable or will it melt or burn under heat that is only up to temps of 400 degrees?

thanks again
Dan

Are you guys buying universal Pellet smoker Kits? Ive seen a few on Amazon for like $250+

I guess they would work. Not sure i would use a 50's fridge. Maybe i watched too many Indiana Jones movies, but aren't they filled with lead? lol

BTW, where is a pic of this fridge? I am a firm believer of pics, or it didn't happen.

Are you guys buying universal Pellet smoker Kits? Ive seen a few on Amazon for like $250+

I guess they would work. Not sure i would use a 50's fridge. Maybe i watched too many Indiana Jones movies, but aren't they filled with lead? lol

BTW, where is a pic of this fridge? I am a firm believer of pics, or it didn't happen.

Poobah has made his feedings on this known.

Default *** ADMIN NOTE *** NO PICS DIDN'T HAPPEN? I call BS!
No pics.. Didn't happen. ?

Well, Maybe it did.

Lately, I've seen more and more comments,and even some that appeared to be a little bit on the harsh side regarding pictures, or lack of, in posts and threads. I know, and I am sure no one here means this to be aynthing but some fun ribbing, but it can be misconstrued by or intimidating to new members, or it can be seen as just plain getting old by the established members.

We all love seeing the photos, but in this forum it is NOT a requirement. If they are available, great, iof not, lets hear about it and let our imagination and creativity fill in the blanks.

What brought this about? Me, several times this something has happened to me, here in my own backyard, so I am sure it is happening to others. I kept quiet for a while figuring its just me, but today, the same topic was brought up by someone other than myself. That makes it necessary for me to bring this to everyones attention.

What is it you ask?

Several times, I found myself not posting about a cook, or an experience because I did NOT HAVE PICTURES. WTF...If thats me, I can not imagine how a new member would feel about posting their experiences, then get smacked for not having a picture.

Well Bullchit. I did it, I cooked it, and it happened, and I want to post about it without a damn picture. Sometimes Im lazy, or I dont have my camera, or the unspectacular cook resulted in spectacular results.. but alas,?? no pics, it didnt happen??, so I dont post it and no one learns. That ain't right. Tha'ts not what we want. We want to know every damn way there is to do something, and for us to miss out on something for lack of a Polaroid is hurting no one but ourselves.

I would hate for another member to feel intimidated or ostracized, and not post something they did, because they didn't have a photo. Now, this is not to say some good natured ribbing among those that you know must stop, but it would be appreciated if its done with discretion and the blanket statements on any post that doesn't have a photo be kept to a minimum.

Agreed, some posts may warrant it, but theres is nothing spectacular about cooking a pork butt that would make me do a photo shoot every time. That does not mean i dont want to share the technique or recipe, or maybe just the finished product. Without a photo.

So keep the photos coming, but just because u dont have one, its ok. It does not mean we dont want to hear it or understand how u did it.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

I agree, since when did the English language fail to express any topic in detail?
Pics are fine, but not necessary. Frankly, a picture shows very little of the process..but ,like most things,...YMMV....carry on..:-D

Poobah has made his feedings on this known.

Default *** ADMIN NOTE *** NO PICS DIDN'T HAPPEN? I call BS!
No pics.. Didn't happen. ?

Well, Maybe it did.

Lately, I've seen more and more comments,and even some that appeared to be a little bit on the harsh side regarding pictures, or lack of, in posts and threads. I know, and I am sure no one here means this to be aynthing but some fun ribbing, but it can be misconstrued by or intimidating to new members, or it can be seen as just plain getting old by the established members.

We all love seeing the photos, but in this forum it is NOT a requirement. If they are available, great, iof not, lets hear about it and let our imagination and creativity fill in the blanks.

What brought this about? Me, several times this something has happened to me, here in my own backyard, so I am sure it is happening to others. I kept quiet for a while figuring its just me, but today, the same topic was brought up by someone other than myself. That makes it necessary for me to bring this to everyones attention.

What is it you ask?

Several times, I found myself not posting about a cook, or an experience because I did NOT HAVE PICTURES. WTF...If thats me, I can not imagine how a new member would feel about posting their experiences, then get smacked for not having a picture.

Well Bullchit. I did it, I cooked it, and it happened, and I want to post about it without a damn picture. Sometimes Im lazy, or I dont have my camera, or the unspectacular cook resulted in spectacular results.. but alas,?? no pics, it didnt happen??, so I dont post it and no one learns. That ain't right. Tha'ts not what we want. We want to know every damn way there is to do something, and for us to miss out on something for lack of a Polaroid is hurting no one but ourselves.

I would hate for another member to feel intimidated or ostracized, and not post something they did, because they didn't have a photo. Now, this is not to say some good natured ribbing among those that you know must stop, but it would be appreciated if its done with discretion and the blanket statements on any post that doesn't have a photo be kept to a minimum.

Agreed, some posts may warrant it, but theres is nothing spectacular about cooking a pork butt that would make me do a photo shoot every time. That does not mean i dont want to share the technique or recipe, or maybe just the finished product. Without a photo.

So keep the photos coming, but just because u dont have one, its ok. It does not mean we dont want to hear it or understand how u did it.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(
What is your deal? I only asked for a pic of the fridge to see what OP is working with. You need to chill out dude. This post of yours is totally uncalled for. How can anyone help OP if he doesn't provide a pic?

Just pointing out the boss has a problem with the term and its harassment in the past.
Don't agree with his desires, contact him with your special needs.
Ed

Hey guys sorry I didn't post pics, I sent out the request for help and opinions while I was at work so didn't have access to pics, (wait did i say I was surfing the inter webs while I was at work? :razz:) I'll post a few pics when I get home so you guys can see what I'm working with.

As for the Pellet hopper, yes I called Denis @ Smoke Daddy and he was kind enough to sell me a their "pellet pro" at greatly reduced price because I was making this smoker for a charity. I had a "pellet pro" in my last pellet smoker I built and the thing work amazingly! The one issue I had with it was easy to fix, Denis and his team were amazing in their Help and support to fix my problem. there product is awesome and their customer support is even better, I wouldn't buy from anyone else!!!

To this point of the build the hardest part has been engineering and Re-engineering everything! Like I said I've made a standard pellet smoker before but because this is for a charity it needs to look like a "high end" product and function perfectly the fist time! I only have one shot at doing it right, I DO NOT want to make a mistake and cut holes in the wrong place then have ugly patches. Because I've never made a smoker out of an old refrigerator there's also a lot of unknows (like the questions I asked in the first place) about "LEAD paint or asbestos". Also not knowing how the airflow is going to work, odiously you don't want stagnate air, over temps or cold spots. So whats the best way to make that work out the best? I assume adding a fan, which is what I'm doing, but where to you put the input and how do you to that and make it weather proof?

these are all the things I'm trying to work through and do it right the first time. Back9Q told me about a facebook group that has a ton of info on this so I'm going to have to look that up and do a lot of reading before I make a determination on where to cut holes on the intake fan and exhaust vent.

Anyway, Thanks again for all the help guys!

Dan

Back