16 mesh black pepper?

that tracks with what i was thinking as well. FTR - I use preground for rubs almost exclusively because of the amounts, I honestly dont wanna grind that much quantity cuz I get lazy and probably dont have the proper tools to grind a larger quantity but good to hear that it accidentally ends up being the right way to go :tea:

the problem with grinding your own For a brisket rub is you don't want to all the powder/dust that grinding creates. you would want to sift it through a 16 mesh. that just seems like entirely too much work for no significant gain imo

You can get 16 at Chudds and it’s good stuff

Me and the Locals go way bigger tho..

It’s a TX thing

:rapture:

Prefer fresh coarse ground pepper on everything. Tastes better than pre-ground IMO...even keep a hand grinder at work. Never smoked a lot of meat at the same time so hand grinding works for me.

Bought a coffee bean burr grinder few years back. Almost infinitely adjustable grind settings. Thinking it might be a good tool for those wanting a lot of fresh cracked pepper fast.

This ain’t no 16 y’all

Grill mark PTSD warning!

:bounce:

Last edited:
the problem with grinding your own For a brisket rub is you don't want to all the powder/dust that grinding creates. you would want to sift it through a 16 mesh. that just seems like entirely too much work for no significant gain imo

Get a decent burr grinder and minimize that problem. Most of 'em grind fast too.

The mesh rating seems so vague that I don't really know. I use the Walmart brand table grind and best I can figure it is 18 or less mesh. I know it's too coarse to sprinkle out of a pepper shaker so "table grind" is confusing.

^^^ Here you go William, and everyone else:

Here is a quick guide to understanding black pepper mesh and best applications:

60 Mesh: Extra Fine Black Pepper (Fine Ground)
This type of fine pepper is best for soups and sauces. Because the grind is so fine it imparts the greatest amount of flavor rapidly into whatever you are cooking.
20 Mesh: Table Ground Black Pepper
This is one of our most popular style of ground black pepper. This black pepper is perfect for applications when visual appeal is desired.
14 Mesh: Restaurant Style Black Pepper
This version is slightly coarser than table style black pepper. This is great in salad dressings and added on proteins before cooking.
10 Mesh: Coarse Black Pepper
This version of pepper is a great “butcher’s grind.” Use for meats or poultry on a grill or smoker. It also works well as an ingredient in spice rubs.
8 Mesh: ¼ Cracked Black Pepper
This type of pepper works well as a garnish. It can create a nice visual appeal when pepper is part of the featured ingredient such as pasta salad. It also works well as part of a rub for steaks.
6 Mesh: Whole Black Pepper
Perfect for fresh grind peppermills and also used in pickling spices and infusions.

Copyright infringed from:
https://dmspicecompany.com/understa...-does-mesh-mean-and-what-size-should-i-order/

DDG (or google) search string "black pepper mesh chart"

Pepper up people -- Mo Pepper, Mo Better

Back