16 mesh black pepper?

ttkt57

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bill Bryant
My local restaurant supply store carries McCormick Culinary pepper in coarse grind, table grind, and shaker grind. Does anybody know which of these corresponds to the popular 16 mesh?

We don't have Academy up here. I've haven't looked at Walmart; thanks for the heads up. Meanwhile, do you know which of the McCormick grinds is equivalent to "16 mesh"?

Nope. If I knew I'd told you.

But if your Walmart carries the Fiesta brand, which you can check on-line, then its a moot point.

It's pretty close. I've used specific 16 mesh and coarse grind peppers. Not much difference until you get to the bottom of the shaker dust. Coarse black pepper is about 12-14 mesh.

Tones Restaurant Grind
McCormick Table Grind
Fiesta 16 mesh on left
Edes Custom Packaging Butcher Blend

Then ground black "powder" pepper

As Ssv says above their is a difference in dust. There is a difference in peppers, how long they age etc etc.

My first venture into coarse pepper was Tones Restaurant grade. Still a solid choice. I enjoy smoking and grilling with coarse, eggs, dressing and even gravy I like the (to me) more pungent powder pepper.

Last edited:
Nope. If I knew I'd told you.

But if your Walmart carries the Fiesta brand, which you can check on-line, then its a moot point.

I'm not following. Why would finding "16 mesh" at a nearby Walmart make it not matter anymore knowing which McCormick grind is equivalent to it?

While breaking tradition I recommend fresh cracked black pepper.

it may sound cliche' but I personally can notice a difference between store bought and fresh cracked. however, I also dont know that it would make any kind of a difference over a long smoke period. on a quick cook like burgers or steaks it definitely can be a difference maker

While breaking tradition I recommend fresh cracked black pepper.

for rubbing things like brisket I would prefer preground.

fresh is great for seasoning things but pre ground has a mellow flavor, with the amounts used it seems to go better

for rubbing things like brisket I would prefer preground.

fresh is great for seasoning things but pre ground has a mellow flavor, with the amounts used it seems to go better

that tracks with what i was thinking as well. FTR - I use preground for rubs almost exclusively because of the amounts, I honestly dont wanna grind that much quantity cuz I get lazy and probably dont have the proper tools to grind a larger quantity but good to hear that it accidentally ends up being the right way to go :tea:

No clue what "mesh" they are but I use the Costco and/or Sams Coarse grind and they seem to do the job. And to be honest (why not?), I'm not even sure the stuff that the influencers or presenters use is actually "16 mesh" or they are just saying it automatically, just like they mention the brand and model of their cooker with every breath, or their knife or their charcoal or....

I'm happier when I don't try to over think stuff.

My local restaurant supply store carries McCormick Culinary pepper in coarse grind, table grind, and shaker grind. Does anybody know which of these corresponds to the popular 16 mesh?

I can't answer, but I know the Costco Kirkland coarse ground is about 18 mesh, and I've used that on several briskets. I'm assuming it's very similar to the McCormick coarse ground, so that's probably the closes they come to a 16 mesh product.

Awhile back I ordered some Fiesta 16 mesh from their online store and that's definitely a bigger grind, and it makes a difference for my preferences. in my opinion, the flavor is a little different and has more kick on the back end. That's all I use now for anything bbq or smoker related.

And the moderators here did nothing.

Maybe that's because the moderators here have a life outside of the forum?

Mod Note:

This thread has been scrubbed! You all have been around here long enough to know that we won't tolerate name calling and bickering! Just because we were not online at the time doesn't make it OK! Consider this the llast warning! Anyone continuing the childish behavior in the thread may face discnplinary action!

Back