140lbs of Pulled Pork and Wampus Beans

aawa

Babbling Farker
Well my teammates mom approached us and wanted us to provide enough pulled pork and wampus beans for 75 people (big burly construction guys). We were happy to help and our minds started turning some more and we decided to also hold a pulled pork sale for our friends to get in on it to test the market for possibly going 100% legit catering.

I was told 75 big guys that work in construction was the head count and the pulled pork was going to be the only meat served with our beans and they were going to provide the other sides of coleslaw, potato salad, and other items. I figured since it was going to be for construction workers that 1/4 lb per was going to be enough meat for them. I would of typically just done 18-19lbs of cooked meat but upped the estimate to 24lbs which would give me 96 servings on the high end or 72 servings on the low end. For the Wampus beans since they were being served with other sides I went with 4oz servings which came out to 19lbs of baked beans.

When we decided on the pulled pork sale we took pre-orders and received 35lbs of pre order. I also planned to drop some off to a friend that I promised some a while back. So i upped the final cooked with of 38lbs total needed, and figured to try to get a few post cook sales in also.

I picked up 140lbs of pork butts from Restaurant Depot for $1.69/lb for the cook. This would give me approx 8lbs of cooked pulled pork extra. Some for the house and maybe 3-5lbs for post cook sales.
6AO24Yg.jpg

I picked up the meat on Thursday afternoon. I got home about 2:30PM and immediately fired off the UDS and my teammates 18.5in WSM. I then started trimming the meats. Here are the first 4 butts rubbed up with Plowboys Yardbird.
2VqT553.jpg

After the butts were trimmed and the WSM and UDS were at 325 degrees with pecan wood. I put the butts on, and got them cruising between 250-275 degrees. I wanted to go medium and steady as the timeline was to cook overnight. The butts got onto the pits at 4:30PM.
g3RKp2c.jpg

During the week, I had smoked some fatties, and diced up the bell peppers, onions, garlic, and soaked and cooked the great northern beans for some Wampus Beans! These were going to the catering gig.
sQJ8xRf.jpg

Between 4:30AM-6:30AM the butts started coming off the pits. I also did some moving of butts around so that I could fit the pans of beans into the UDS from 6:30AM-8:30AM. Here are some of the butts on the WSM ready to come off. We didn't wrap since the first round was 13 lbs and that was just goign to be too much work to wrap, not to mention with the cookers that loaded up, humidity in the pits was going to be high.
zXnNJFa.jpg

As they came off, they were put into aluminum pans and into the cambro. I made sure to seperate out 24lbs of cooked pork butts for the catering the gig, the rest went in and rested in the cambro till I was able to get home to pull them. (Don't worry the butts were still over 140degrees IT when I got home to pull them and portion them out) Here are 3 butts ready to be pulled and my Eastern Carolina Finishing Dip added. (recipe will be listed at the end)
9C94ApZ.jpg

At 8:30AM the beans came off the smoker. I had to transfer them to smaller pans as they wouldn't fit in the coolers for transportation.
CAPBoF8.jpg

I wish I had more pictures from here but it got too busy to pull out the camera and shoot shots. The company was very happy with the pulled pork and the beans. The beans were a bigger hit than the pulled pork. They said that the beans were completely gone and they had a couple pans left of the pulled pork. They loved everything though and said they would love to work with us again. They did serve store bought coleslaw and potato salad.... I'm hoping next time I get to that business as well.

For the pulled pork sale, I got home and pulled the butts and added my finishing dip. I then portioned them out to 1lb ziplock bags and crash cooled them. I put them in the fridge for the people picking them up on Saturday and the rest went into the freezer for pick up/drop off at work and kickball from Sunday - Friday.

After having some pulled pork and our own batch of wampus beans and coleslaw for dinner on friday, I had 6 extra pounds of pulled pork that I am going to try to sell to friends. If they don't sell, they are frozen and will be used by me for quick meals at the house in the future!

Thanks for looking and as promised

Eastern Carolina Finishing Dip/Sauce. (use 1/2 cup for a 6-10lb pork butt)
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/8-1/4 cup crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoon turbinado sugar

Congrats on another successful cook! Everything looks good. Too bad you couldn't serve it with some real slaw.

Congrats on another successful cook! Everything looks good. Too bad you couldn't serve it with some real slaw.

Yeah, I'm hoping they come back to me and I'm able to do the whole events food. I am 100% sure I can make better sides than grocery store bought tubs and still have a reasonable price for them.

Good Show!!!!

Great Cookup, nice lookin' food & real good rundown of evnts as planned.....

"The beans were a bigger hit than the pulled pork. "

This has happened to me too......go figger.....:wink:

Nice job Sir...
Thank you sir!

Nice work!

Thanks Phy!

Good Show!!!!

Great Cookup, nice lookin' food & real good rundown of evnts as planned.....

"The beans were a bigger hit than the pulled pork. "

This has happened to me too......go figger.....:wink:

I like it when the sides outshine the meats sometimes. It kind of validates putting a lot of work into making everything taste great instead of taking short cuts on the sides.

Them beans look killer... And may I say, you have some fine looking butts!

I get that a lot from the ladies. I mean thanks! It was the most butts I have cooked at 1 time and it was a fun time. If you haven't made some Wampus Beans, I suggest you do!

Nice cook. Glad it went well. Bet you get more business. I love those beans. Have some in my freezer

Thanks. I emailed them on Saturday to see if they were satisfied with everything and asked how their event went. And this was the reply back from them.

---
Ren,

Thank you for providing the food, it was a huge success and everybody raved about the BBQ and beans, trust me we will use you again.

Regards,
---

It has made my day to hear that from them. I also got a text from someone who has never had my BBQ that bought some and some coleslaw from me. This was his text to me that night when he ate - "What's in the coleslaw? My girl loves it, and the BBQ is off the chain!"

I must be doing something right!

Excellent! Nothing like a whole lotta great Q to make people full and happy. Best of luck with the new catering venture. Word of mouth is always the best advertising and it sounds like you will have plenty of that.

Good looking food aawa. Congrats on the cook. How many butts did you get on the UDS? And how do you deal with the grease from the butts while they are cooking? I'm considering getting a UDS and I'm curious.

Great job, looks danged tasty!!

Thanks the cook time line at the end was tight, but we made it happen!

nice cook!

Thanks for the kind words.

Excellent! Nothing like a whole lotta great Q to make people full and happy. Best of luck with the new catering venture. Word of mouth is always the best advertising and it sounds like you will have plenty of that.

Thanks. It is a market test for me to see if people are actually willing to pay for my bbq. This first run was a success in my eyes, hoping the next time will be even better.

Good looking food aawa. Congrats on the cook. How many butts did you get on the UDS? And how do you deal with the grease from the butts while they are cooking? I'm considering getting a UDS and I'm curious.

I comfortably fit 8 butts in my 2 rack UDS. The grease I let it drip down into the fire, so once the butts went on, I got white smoke coming out because so much grease. I did use my Pitmaster IQ110 to maintain my temperature through out the cook.

140 lbs? Thats it?

:p

I wish I had orders to do more! As of last night, I am sold out of the 70+ pounds of pork the 140ish lbs of pork butts produced. I did keep 1 pork butt for myself. Although it didn't last a day in the house before it was all gone :p

Back