“Downsize” to Kamado, or will I regret it?

This thread speaks to me. I used to buy a ton of cookers. Stopped doing that a ways back, but never got rid of anything. For the last couple years, I pretty exclusively use a 22 inch Kettle and an 18 inch WSM. The WSM is ancient and the Kettle is probably 7 or 8 years old.

I do have an Old Country Wrangler I only used a few times which I do plan to get into. But then also a 15+ year old Portable Kitchen, a 10+ year old small BGE, and couple Smokey Joes, a Jumbo Joe (used to like to tailgate at football games), and an Orion (??).

The thing is, when you buy nice cookers and take care of them, they last forever. I really want to try the Weber Summit Kamado. Or, maybe sell everything except for the offset and buy a shiney new WSM and 22 or 26 inch kettle?

My wife would be happy to see all that stuff go away. On the 9th hand, we're not using the space for anything else. So, it's really just a lot of grills sitting there.

Did I mention that this thread speaks to my soul?

Ay neighbor. Not quite there but had to decide on whether i should get an offset (just a cheap chargriller smokin champ) recently and i justified it by consolidating space. i can fit my smokey mountain in my big brew kettle, and kettle in between buckets in the shed. lol

I haven't touched my gasser or Smokey Joe since getting a WSCG three years ago. Very easy to live with and smokes and grills quite well. I also don't have space for multiple grills so this is a great solution for my situation.

I haven't touched my gasser or Smokey Joe since getting a WSCG three years ago. Very easy to live with and smokes and grills quite well. I also don't have space for multiple grills so this is a great solution for my situation.

How does the WSCG do with two zone cooking? On my Small BGE, if you leave the lid open for a while, it goes nuclear. I know I can adjust, but the way I've lately liked to grill is with a two zone fire on the Kettle with the lid off at first getting a nice sear and then moving to the cool sider, lid on, for a more gentle roast.

I am guessing if you wanted to cook like this on the WSCG you could just use fully lit coals and pretend it's a kettle and not worry about a big spike in temps? I've looked at these a bit at the Breed and Co/Ace down the road. I saw some questions on the stability of the $999 Weber Summit Kamado E6, though Weber appears to be addressing.

It is appealing to think of just 1-2 cookers vs the motley sprawl I currently have. It's a good problem to have - buy nice stuff and take care of it and it lasts forever. Same with cast iron, all clad, le creuset, etc indoors, I guess. I want to add some Made In cookware, but it's hard to justify....

I'm really enjoying watching this thread unfold, not so much because quite a few(myself included) former Kamado owners moved on to other cookers, but the learning process that takes place over time as we experiment with new cookers. These are invaluable experiences that add to our knowledge base and help us refine our craft.

For me, the old adage "If I knew then what I know now" doesn't apply, as it was all enjoyable along the way!

I have a large BGE and have cooked on it for about five years. It's fine for long and slow cooks but not for burgers and steaks. It's much easier to use the Weber Kettle. If I were going to buy a new Kamado, I would definitely buy the Kamado Joe Classic. If you do go the Kamado route I would strongly suggest the purchase of a SMOBOT which takes all the guess work out of Kamado temperature control. If I may, I would keep the PK grill they are classics! Some of the best bar b q food I've eaten was cooked on the original PK grill.

I'm really enjoying watching this thread unfold, not so much because quite a few(myself included) former Kamado owners moved on to other cookers, but the learning process that takes place over time as we experiment with new cookers. These are invaluable experiences that add to our knowledge base and help us refine our craft.

For me, the old adage "If I knew then what I know now" doesn't apply, as it was all enjoyable along the way!

Couldn't agree with this more. I think we learn concepts along the way that make it easier to cook on more or less anything as we learn the principles and practice.

My Big Green Egg is like a Swiss Army Knife. It can do a bunch of different things but it might not be the perfect knife/grill depending on the situation. I've had the same Swiss Army knife since I've been 8 years old and I've owned my BGE for the last 11 years. I don't daily carry my Swiss Army knife and I don't use my BGE every night. That doesn't mean that I don't use them. I use my BGE several times a week as it hits most of my needs. To be completely honest, I've never once used my oven in my house in the last 10 years of ownership. Everything that can go in the oven goes into my BGE. So don't limit yourself thinking it's only a smoker. It's by far my most used grill out of the lineup. It's easy to use and fits my schedule. I wouldn't worry about "dirty smoke' especially if you're coming from a WSM. I see no reason why you couldn't drop a few of your other grills/smokers for a Kamado. I say go for it!

I have a large BGE and have cooked on it for about five years. It's fine for long and slow cooks but not for burgers and steaks. It's much easier to use the Weber Kettle. If I were going to buy a new Kamado, I would definitely buy the Kamado Joe Classic. If you do go the Kamado route I would strongly suggest the purchase of a SMOBOT which takes all the guess work out of Kamado temperature control. If I may, I would keep the PK grill they are classics! Some of the best bar b q food I've eaten was cooked on the original PK grill.

My PK is my favorite grill. It’s likely never going anywhere. I got a red one, so it’s extra fast.

I recently sold my Kamado Joe Classic and PBC. I had to move (military) and the Kamado was a pain in the A$$ to move from NC to Florida. Really stopped using it and wanted to "down size". Then I added an outdoor (2 burner) camp chef stove, 36' griddle, and a chargriller big easy infrared fryer. I've given up on trying to downsize. Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm addicted to outdoor cookers... If I was forced to downsize, keep your 26" (add SNS), pellet, and gasser. It will do everything you need.

I used to think the same thing, but I found that using wood chips not wood chunks, and cooking at higher temps like 275*, alleviated much of that issue.

I had a similar results. I have never looked back on selling my WSM and “smoking kettle” I just use my KJ, Weber gasser and keep a spare kettle for the ability to run a grill with completely different items or temps or just grilling simple things while the KJ is smoking.
I at one point had 6 cookers on the patio. The wife loved it lol.

Due to the large surface area it works great for two zone cooking. I like using the charcoal baskets too.

How does the WSCG do with two zone cooking? On my Small BGE, if you leave the lid open for a while, it goes nuclear. I know I can adjust, but the way I've lately liked to grill is with a two zone fire on the Kettle with the lid off at first getting a nice sear and then moving to the cool sider, lid on, for a more gentle roast.

Get a Kamado if you want one. Learn how to use it probably though. I've had one over 10 years without issue. Please don't overload with charcoal, that's where people get in trouble. I can't eat off my FIL egg as he never gets that fire started properly and it's all garage smoke. Here's a pizza, takes 5 minutes everytime.

Currently on my patio I have:

PK Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Spirit II E-210
WSM 18”
Weber Kettle 26”
Blaz’n Grand Slam pellet grill

In an effort to downsize, and cut the units (my wife wants to add some more entertaining accessories God bless her), I’m considering selling all of them except for the Pellet Grill and gasser, and getting a Kamado.
Doesn't she know the grills are entertaining accessories? If the wife told me that, I'd buy another grill :mrgreen:

However, if I was downsizing I'd keep the PK (or Weber 26"), drum and pellet.

Back