Cuts of pork help?

mwild103

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Ok I have a newb question about pork. The other day I bought a half a pork loin and cut it into 2inch thick chops, brined them, smoked to 130 then threw them on my hasty bake and seared them. They were amazing probably the best ones I've ever produced. But here is my question I guess, those loin chops are so lean is there a more marbled cut of pork that you can treat this same way like a thick chop but get that super tender juicy awesomeness. I'm not talking pulled pork. So what cut of pork should I try? Thick pork steaks or county style ribs, or cut the "money" muscle off a roast and use it? Hope this makes some sense. Thanks for all the suggestions in advanced.

The loin is what it is; white lean tender meat, if not overcooked. Because it is lean there is little or no fat by the nature of the muscle. Maybe buy a better quality type of pork like the Berkshire breed, and SNF also offers Kurobuta Pork might be a great item to try.

The tenderloin muscle is probably the only more "naturally" tender muscle. Unfortunately the muscle isn't large enough to cut into individual portions before cooking. Cook the whole tenderloin and then slice into portions.

I really like the end cut loin roast, sometimes called the sirloin roast. You can part out a pork butt and get richer meat. Or brine pork steaks

I think some thick cut pork steaks might be what closer to what I'm talking about.

You can examine the various loins sitting on the shelf in a store, and pick out the one that appears to have the best marbling. Just like Beef, there is a large variance in the amount of fat each pig will have in its meat. When I'm looking at loin chops in the store, I use the same method. Check for a a package where the meat is obviously far better marbled than the others. I've had great success doing this.

I'm not sure if this is the same as a sirloin roast, but down here in Texas, the stores sell a pork ribeye roast. They are nicely marbled, and cook up really tender, juicy, and flavorful.

I think some thick cut pork steaks might be what closer to what I'm talking about.
This, or County style ribs will be the closest cuts to what you are looking for. You can also ask your butcher for a "butt end loin roast" which will fall somewhere between the marbeling in a pork butt and that of a loin.

I like a Loin for a roast & Center Cut pork chops the "T" bone of pig then Pork steaks. Have the meat guy cot a but into 1" thick steaks.

There are two different halves to a whole pork loin, the blade/rib end and the sirloin end. You want the sirloin. One way to distinguish the two is that the sirloin end will have a fat cap running it's entire length. The fat cap on the rib/blade end only runs part way down the loin.

I like to buy a boned pork neck it has more fat essential for flavor, makes a great low and slow cut as well, but we cut steaks and marinate them and on to the coals very nice :thumb:

i also want to try cooking a pork butt with the intention of slicing it instead of taking it all the way to pulled. Is there a big difference when you cook it to slice it vs pulled taste/texture wise? Or does it basically come out as a thick cut steak and you should have just saved yourself hours of work and started with the steaks? Guess I just really need to get to cooking and find out huh!

Just ask your butcher to cut a 10# pork butt into 4 equal steaks. Use your regular pork rub. Cook to an internal temp of about 180 or so on your cooker. Reverse sear if you are so inclined. Very moist and tender. Im getting ready to throw some on right now.

No, sliced pork butt is not the same as pork steaks. I cook a butt to almost pulling level, those slices are fork tender, super moist. It's totally different from pork steaks, and even from pulled pork.

My local grocer has the equivalent of a porterhouse that I can't get enough of. I always looks for the ones with the largest tenderloin. At less than $1.50 per 1 inch thick steak they are an absolute steal. Also always take the most pink pieces you find. More color = higher pH = higher quality IMO anyway.

No, sliced pork butt is not the same as pork steaks. I cook a butt to almost pulling level, those slices are fork tender, super moist. It's totally different from pork steaks, and even from pulled pork.
landarc, where on the pig is the steak cut you are talking about coming from?

If I was going to smoke a loin cut I'd get a bone in loin roast and seperate it into double cut bone in chops, brine, smoke a bit then sear.

Back