Cooking on half lit charcoal - weird taste

bbqpitsmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a kamado cooker, and had a weird taste on my food today, is this typical?

I lit the lump charcoal in the cooker, and waited until around half of it was burning and the cooker temp was 200F, and then put my lamb and chicken on it. While the cook was underway the temp rose to around 600F as more of the coal lit.

When I ate the food, there was an acrid/harsh taste to it. None of the food was burnt. Based on this, I would normally conclude that putting the food on before all the coal was lit lead to the off flavour, however based on the Minion method etc.. this seems incorrect.

Where did I go wrong?

600 degrees can be part of your problem. In a Kamado, you're not looking for all the coals to burn, but rather you want a constant temp. The minion method just doesn't apply to a Kamado style cooker. It's also possible to get a bad batch of lump. What brand of Kamado are you using? Were you grilling and looking for a sear, or doing a closed cook?

Was doing lamb chops and thinly sliced chicken breast so was looking to get it grilled. Using Big Steel Keg.

I experienced the same sort of thing when I started using charcoal. I can't really explain it, but I found that by not waiting for my chimney to be lit, and while the charcoal was still puffing out lots of smoke, that my food tasted really bitter/acidic.

However, when using the minion method to achieve a long, low & slow cook - I didn't have the same problem.

Once I started waiting for my chimney to light and to see the "thin blue smoke", the acidic taste went away...

Sounds like a dirty fire. Wait for the good smoke before putting the food on.

Thankyou. Thats exactly what it does taste like, ie smoke from a dirty fire. However, to me while I cook with wood and expect a fire in the true sense of the word, when I cook with charcoal I normally expect just glowing coals that light other coals to begin glowing over time.

What would make a coal fire dirty vs not? I use the same lump coal on my offset and have no issues. However, on my offset I use a chimney to fully light all coal before dumping in the firebox.

Do other people experience a great tasting smoke from partially lighting coal in their kamado and putting the food on while the rest of the coal catches?

Back