Applying Rub Question...

Dmakkk

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I just got my plowboys and trying for the first time on a whole chicken over soup greens in the oven. It got me thinking on how people apply their rub to their meats or if they apply their rub differently for different meats or different cuts of meat. Usually i just sprinkle the rub on and keep moisture on the meat depending on what I am cooking. Today i just added olive oil to the rub in a bowl and brushed the chicken inside and out. Some would oil the chicken first then apply the rub. So i was just curious what you do or if there is a science to different techniques to different meats. Let me know what you think...

Oil for chicken then the rub for me. Mustard then rub for pork. Mind you last week I used sriracha then rub on beef ribs.

Mayo & rub slather on chicken. Just rub on everything else although some times I do use Hot sauce or Woostershire. Mustard is fer Cheeseburgers & Hot dogs.

I use a mustard slather on pork and beef but dont know why

Chicken, oil then rub, but I like your idea of mixing the rub and oil.

Beef, usually apply the rub directly, nothing else, let the moisture from the meat do it's work. Have used Worcestershire and hot sauce prior to rub also.

Pork, ahhh pork, used to use mustard, then went to directly on the meat, as of late been using a molasses base and really liking it.

I usually oil it and then season after (both under and on top of the skin) but the way you did it is fine as long as you're getting the chicken coated thoroughly. I use oil on EVERYTHING before I add my rub because I've learned that most spices (particularly herbs) are oil soluble and when a ground spice or herb is added to oil the natural oils of the spices themselves are released and enhance their flavors, here's a little snippet from an article on the subject from amazingribs.com .
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/

Pastes, Wet Rubs, and Slathers...
Pastes come in two classes: Water based and oil based. Most are just dry rubs mixed with water or oil. They have the advantage of sticking better and can be layered on thick. If salt and sugar are important components, use water as a solvent. Water base slathers are often mixed with mustard, wine, stock, or just plain water. Oil won't dissolve salt and sugar as quickly as water, but many herbs and spices are not water soluble, and oil pulls out their flavors better. Oils are especially good at pulling flavor from fresh herbs. Oil has the added advantage of helping seal the surface of the meat, slightly reducing evaporation. It also helps keep food from sticking to the grates, and if oil-based pastes get hot enough, it can fry the surface, helping with bowning and really amping up the flavor.

P.S. I also use a mayo slather on the exterior of the skin on occasion (as Bludawg does) and it works great, the combination of the oil and the vinegar in the mayo seams to really do the trick for a crispy skin.:thumb:

I'm in the camp of olive oil coating on most everything before I add the rub. Makes everything stick and I'm convinced I get better flavor and cook results when I use it compared to when I don't.

I go straight rub on all meats. No oil, mayo, etc. Works for me. May try the mayo though.

I have always used peanut oil on beef and pork then rub. It is what Johnny Trigg uses on pork and Chef Tim Love uses on steak so I figured it was good enough for me. I did also read Meatheads article on amazing ribs.com about oil dissolving spices/herbs better and vinegar dissolving salt better so I have been experimenting with mustard on pork and Wooster on beef then the rub. Can't say I have noticed much of a difference.

I usually just apply the rub directly to the meat. Let it sit while I'm setting up the cooker and the moister from the meat will come out a bit to help the rub bind. Then I might hit it with some more once its on the cooker.

For chicken I apply canola oil but I do that to help the skin get crispy.

I just rub. Never understood the need for a slather.

Not to say that I've NEVER slathered. I just did a little EVOO yesterday with the pork loins I did before seasoning, but I was looking for them to brown up on the outside too.

I've never had an issue with getting the rub to stick to the meat, especially pork or beef. If the skin on the poultry is dry, then I can see that I guess. Just never have done it.

I tend to use a little olive oil on ribs to help the rub stick a bit better, but it's a minor difference. I've forgotten it several times with no real impact. For brisket, I just put it right on the beef. Seems to me that beef is a "wetter" meat that rub sticks to better. For pork butt I still switch around. Sometimes dry, sometimes oil, but the only real difference I've seen is a slightly crisper thin layer at the outside edge of the meat. If I wasn't looking for it, I wouldn't notice it. I have not tried the mustard slather that some folks recommend. I might at some point.
I use a shaker for rubs and if I can get it to stick nice and evenly, I don't worry too much about anything to hold it on...

Back