Blackstone yay or nah?

stumpmason

Reaction score
What are your likes/dislikes on the Blackstone griddle. Trying to decide on the 36" or the 28". I currently have a gasser weber genesis, 22" kettle and a 22" performer. I mostly cook for my wife and two kids but on the weekends we usually have her parents and sister over. I often find myself using 2 or maybe three grills. I really want to get a larger charcoal grill but until that time comes I thought one of these would help out alot. Any of you leave them outside? My grills sit under a large overhang on my screen room. Figured I would need to still cover it though. How are they on keeping them seasoned? Anyone get the smaller and wish they got the bigger? Or vice versa? Any feedback will be helpful. Thanks!

Good questions, I am anxiously awaiting the opinions on the bigger vs smaller.

One thing to think about with big vs. small is the burner configuration, not just the physical size. And, it's like buying a truck, can always use a bigger one.

Todd

Get the big one. Something as simple as few strips of bacon and a short stack of pancakes for 4 people takes up a lot of real estate fast.

I figured the big one was going to be the easiest decision to make. An extra $90 or so seems worth it. I just feel that I would use it alot. I'm always cooking breakfast on the weekends, bacon, burgers, sauteing vegs, etc..

I'm with the lip-lickin' pot stirrer ^ If I ever get one it will be the larger. In truth, the small would work for most times I'm sure, but if one is going to devote real estate and money to a griddle, it might as well be a large one with better heating options.

I got the 36" model at Tractor Supply where I get feed, tractor parts, etc. on a 20% off 'Father's Day" sale which made it $240 plus tax plus 5 miles worth of gasoline round trip. :-D

I generally cook for one, myself, and find I typically use about half of it with what I make. After freeing myself from a single skillet (started at 10", then 12" and, finally 15") I have a little more room to crisp potatoes, sweat onions, etc. without crowding meat or eggs as appropriate. It has made browning squash, zucchini, etc. for a healthier meal a whole lot easier. The 36" model also has a lot more firepower to come up to temperature fast and hold it when I throw a bunch of stuff on it. I would much rather turn it down versus steaming my veggies for a mushy frittata, fried rice, etc.

Mine generally lives outdoors, in fact it has been rained on the last four days. :cry:

Good news is that my seasoning took good care of it. Not a speck of rust on top. On the bottom, my seasoning with cooking spray was not as good and I got a little very light superficial surface rust. With some additional coats of cooking spray, I'll be good to go there too.

While I don't recommend leaving it in the rain, so far it hasn't been an issue for me. If I'm not going to use it for an extended period, I put it in the garage. I would suggest setting up near a garden hose because you will want to wash it before use if, like me, you have birds potty on it or have sand blown on its surface. A garden hose, scrubby and, dish soap and about two minutes and I'm ready to go with the fast preheat while I go inside to grab the veg and protein.

Can you tell I like it? Care to guess how often I use my much-hated glass top electric coil cooktop? :rofl:

Also, look up "French Top" cooktop for additional ways this griddle can replace or supplement your kitchen stove/cooktop. :wink:

On their website, they seem to be aware of the engineering issue with the flat-top and grease drain...Seeing how they fixed the burners from round to H they'll probably fix this too. Gonna hunker down and wait for the upgrade. But that's just me.

On their website, they seem to be aware of the engineering issue with the flat-top and grease drain...Seeing how they fixed the burners from round to H they'll probably fix this too. Gonna hunker down and wait for the upgrade. But that's just me.

Huh? :loco:

Sure, I could tilt my griddle to put grease in the corner but, instead it runs to the drip tray into the cup. That was the big decider for me over a couple other griddles.

I will confirm that I find the 'cart' to be flimsy though serviceable. I see myself welding up some angle iron and square tube to 'improve' it for my personal use (i.e. It ain't going camping with me :hand:).

I got the 36" model at Tractor Supply where I get feed, tractor parts, etc. on a 20% off 'Father's Day" sale which made it $240 plus tax plus 5 miles worth of gasoline round trip. :-D

I generally cook for one, myself, and find I typically use about half of it with what I make. After freeing myself from a single skillet (started at 10", then 12" and, finally 15") I have a little more room to crisp potatoes, sweat onions, etc. without crowding meat or eggs as appropriate. It has made browning squash, zucchini, etc. for a healthier meal a whole lot easier. The 36" model also has a lot more firepower to come up to temperature fast and hold it when I throw a bunch of stuff on it. I would much rather turn it down versus steaming my veggies for a mushy frittata, fried rice, etc.

Mine generally lives outdoors, in fact it has been rained on the last four days. :cry:

Good news is that my seasoning took good care of it. Not a speck of rust on top. On the bottom, my seasoning with cooking spray was not as good and I got a little very light superficial surface rust. With some additional coats of cooking spray, I'll be good to go there too.

While I don't recommend leaving it in the rain, so far it hasn't been an issue for me. If I'm not going to use it for an extended period, I put it in the garage. I would suggest setting up near a garden hose because you will want to wash it before use if, like me, you have birds potty on it or have sand blown on its surface. A garden hose, scrubby and, dish soap and about two minutes and I'm ready to go with the fast preheat while I go inside to grab the veg and protein.

Can you tell I like it? Care to guess how often I use my much-hated glass top electric coil cooktop? :rofl:

Also, look up "French Top" cooktop for additional ways this griddle can replace or supplement your kitchen stove/cooktop. :wink:

I dont know what tractor supply your talking about, but Their website doesnt list Blackstone at all.

I got the 28" during the $99 sale. At that price point I didn't even consider the 36", but it's like a TV, you always want a bigger one!
I usually just cook for my wife and I, so the 28" is fine. The most people I've cooked for on the BS was 6 (3 couples) I made breakfast for everyone and never ran outa room.
The drip tray seems to have been fixed because I haven't had any problems I hear everyone mention. If it's windy, the drip gets blown, but overall no problem with mine.
I also have a cover for mine, that is always on if not in use. I use a can under the cover to prop it up a bit so rain doesn't pool up on it. It's fairly portable with a sold separately carry bag. (the 28" is about 80 lbs without propane). I disagree with Sid Post's thought that the cart is flimsy. I agree they could have used a heavier gauge steel, but for what it does it's fine and feels sturdy enough while cooking. Doesn't move around when scraping etc.
Love love cooking on it. I don't regret getting the 28" at all.
The only complaint I have is the grease splatter. Make sure you have a mat or something down if your cooking on a deck. (The dog loves that part though)
I say Yay!

I don't have time to read all replies right now but I'll throw in my $.02 quickly. It's no more than 4 people eating anything I cook. I thought it was a great idea to buy the 36" as bigger is better.

I regret not picking up the 28". I almost just gave the 36" away and bought the 28" when it was on sale during christmas for 75 bucks at walmart marked down. For me the 36" is hard as hell to store. I have to roll it in and out of my wood shed building anytime I wanna use it. Just to bulky even without the shelves on it.

I would be perfectly happy with the 36" if I didn't have to move it, but as there's wild animals around here I catch them on my crap all the time I have been forced to keep it put up and covered.

So moral of the story I love the black stone griddle but please be sure about how you are storing it and if you have to move it in and out of a space to cook on it. Not sure how many people you have to cook for but anything I've cooked on the 36" I could of easily done on the 28".

Get the big one. Something as simple as few strips of bacon and a short stack of pancakes for 4 people takes up a lot of real estate fast.

^ this. I love mine and have no regrets buying the 36. It's just me, my wife and 4 month old at home.

I fixed the grease drain issue with some high heat JB Weld. Added enough to break the surface tension so that the grease doesn't run back down the bottom side of the drip rail.

36" for my wife and I. We end up using the whole 36" majority of the time when cooking. 28" I think would be a little too tight for majority of our cooks. Plus the 36" comes in handy when guests come over and tailgating. You can always shut off whatever you don't use on the griddle. I don't think there are too many people that have bought the 36" Blackstone and said, "I hate all this extra room". We really enjoy ours.

Last edited:
I've had the 36 and loved it. Four burners so you can have different zones and it's big enough to feed an army. I liked it for smaller cooks also when I needed the real estate to work freely and not feel cramped. I've never had any grease issues like some mention.

That said I scored a 28" for $50 at Wally World and retrofitted by dropping in my gasser with the flat top now sitting in it. I use it almost every week now since it's much more convenient and it gave my gasser a new purpose. I sold off the 36" to free up some space on my cooker patio. I have to say that owning both sizes, the 28" is big enough and I don't feel deprived of space at all. According to your cooking description the 28 will work fine for you. I guess it comes down to price so if the 28 is significantly cheaper then shoot for that.

MHO is that you can't go wrong with either since the 28's have the H burners. Good luck!

Also, my 36 sat outside rain or shine with just the cover on for 4 years. Never had any issues with rust at times not even using it for months. I used to oil the bottom once a year as insurance so even the bottom was cast iron like smooth being exposed to heat and the elements.

I've had the 36 and loved it. Four burners so you can have different zones and it's big enough to feed an army. I liked it for smaller cooks also when I needed the real estate to work freely and not feel cramped. I've never had any grease issues like some mention.

That said I scored a 28" for $50 at Wally World and retrofitted by dropping in my gasser with the flat top now sitting in it. I use it almost every week now since it's much more convenient and it gave my gasser a new purpose. I sold off the 36" to free up some space on my cooker patio. I have to say that owning both sizes, the 28" is big enough and I don't feel deprived of space at all. According to your cooking description the 28 will work fine for you. I guess it comes down to price so if the 28 is significantly cheaper then shoot for that.

MHO is that you can't go wrong with either since the 28's have the H burners. Good luck!

Also, my 36 sat outside rain or shine with just the cover on for 4 years. Never had any issues with rust at times not even using it for months. I used to oil the bottom once a year as insurance so even the bottom was cast iron like smooth being exposed to heat and the elements.

I remember you retrofitting the 28. Where exactly does the grease go now?

My concern is that the 28 doesnt get hot enough. There is a 8 inch difference in length and double the BTU's on the 36.

Back