Tell me why I DON'T need a Pit Barrel Cooker

STLBBQer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well, the bug is biting me again and I'm looking at new toys. Have two Weber kettles, a small pellet smoker, and a WSM 18.5.

Very intrigued by the PBC, especially with the new coating and upgrades. In my head, I know that I don't NEED a PBC, but damn do I want one.

So, anyone who has a WSM and PBC, or other charcoal smoker and a PBC...is it overkill? Is there any real reason to have them both!? :crazy:

I don't have a PBC, but I do have a LBGE, a UDS, a large gravity feed insulated smoker and 2 kettles and I see no issue. :rolleyes:

The only reason I'd say that you don't need a PBC is because you can build a UDS for cheaper. I honestly don't see the hype with the PBC's, but I've never cooked on one so I really don't know.

Depends on how much you cook or MAY cook.
My large smoker will hold 16 pork butts, 8-10 briskets or about 40 racks of ribs and I've had times where I needed to use another smoker.

The main thing that I like is that sometimes I just want to cook on the drum.
Sometimes I just want to fire up the Egg. Sometimes the kettle is my preference. I like the versatility.

Just get it. The heart wants what the heart wants. I have 10 and that is probably too many since several get neglected (I'm no 16Adams:grin:). I think 5 or 6 is s better number. I can cook 1 or 12 briskets just depends on my mood or which cooker I choose.

You don't need a PBC because you can build a UDS for less and have more cooking space

Pit Barrel

Reasons NOT to buy one:

1. You don't like a well built cooker that is very easy to use.
2. You don't like a relatively small cooker that has a large food capacity.
3. You don't want a cooker that is fuel efficient and holds temps well.
4. You don't like delicious chicken, ribs, pork, etc.
5. You don't want to cook fast with excellent results.

That's all I can think of for now.

So place your order and thank me later!

Good luck with your decision.

You need it. Stop trying to resist temptation and get it.

I don't think you would have made this thread if you weren't lready to pull the trigger on one. Take the plunge and enjoy.

Go for it. Wish they had the porcelain finish when I bought mine. Don't listen to the folks who say build a UDS. You know there are many posts on this site from folks who own both and swear that the PBC is much better.

I love the new porclain coating....very sharp. I prefer regular UDS like my Big Poppa but that same coating would be spendy, so I settled for powder coat.

Go for it. Wish they had the porcelain finish when I bought mine. Don't listen to the folks who say build a UDS. You know there are many posts on this site from folks who own both and swear that the PBC is much better.

No argument from me. I get the "build a UDS" thing, really do. Problem is, we have a 3yr old and a newborn, plus I brew my own beer and make wine. I don't have the TIME to make my own!!! :razz:

Really? You came to this forum to get us to tell you NOT to purchase a smoker? Deep down that's just your subconscious telling you to buy it! :-D

I'm jumping in a day after you started the thread so I'm not giving you a reason to buy it, but rather checking to see when it is arriving :razz:.

Back