Braising on a Weber 22" - Adobo chicken

rick51

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Mrs. D. has just laid down the law. The house is on the market, and we can't have cooking smells.

Any tips for braising on the Weber 22"? I was planning on using a foil pan and just watching the temperature. Here's the recipe as I usually do it on the stove in a dutch oven.

4 chicken thighs
3 onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves

The marinade:
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. vinegar
1 T. black pepper
2 T. brown sugar
2 or 3 habanero peppers, chopped

Make the marinade 24 hours before you use it. 3 habaneros with the ribs and seeds will be very spicy. One habanero, seeds and ribs removed will be just slightly spicy.

Marinate the chicken overnight. Strain and reserve the marinade.

Brown the chicken hard, then set aside.

Sweat the onions and the garlic, then add the chicken, the strained marinade, and the bay leaves. Braise 45 minutes, adding water or chicken stock as needed.

Serve on rice.

is your dutch oven plain cast iron? i'd just use that on the grill over a nice layer of coals

got a goodwill store close by? you can find great deals on cast iron cookware usually.

Just use a regular pot.

Build a medium fire in a small pile toward one end of the kettle. and then adjust the placement of your pot on the cooking grate over/around the fire. You will find that you will have to start on the top of the fire to get the onions and garlic caramelized and then add the chicken to get a decent sear on it. Then add the soy/vinegar liquids and bring it to a light boil, sliding the pot away/towards the fire till you get the nice slow boil you get when you are cooking on a stove.

I wouldn't bother putting the lid on the kettle.

Edit: i saw you said you wanted to use a aluminum pan. You won't get a good sweat on the onions and garlic or sear on the chicken in the aluminium pan. If you have a stainless steal pot you can use that, you will probably just have to clean the soot off of it afterwards. heck you can use any pot really. I am 100% filipino and grew up on Adobo. We never used a dutch oven to cook it. Was always made in regular ole cooking pots.

Without the brown sugar and peppers, you have what is called Filipino Chicken which is really good. I think the addition of the sugar and peppers would be super.

Without the brown sugar and peppers, you have what is called Filipino Chicken which is really good. I think the addition of the sugar and peppers would be super.

Without the brown sugar and chile peppers it is Filipino Chicken Adobo. We also don't marinade the chicken.

Back