First Pepper Stout Beef today...

Jersey BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
First go at Pepper Stout Beef today - couple thoughts, questions.
3 lb'ish chucks
BPS Cash Cow rub..
questions -
3 hours on the smoker at 250? Or internal temp should be what before it goes in the pan ?
Another 3 hours covered at 250 / 275 ?
Thanks for the advice in advance. Off to the ACME to look for some good chuck roasts and green and red peppers -
Jeff

We have chuckies on sale over here so I will be stocking up. As to your questions - if you haven't already check out the video on youtube Larry from The Wolfe Pit did
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrWZ74mOTTA&t=209s"]Smoked Beef Chuck Roast (Pulled Beef) - Pepper Stout Beef Recipe - YouTube[/ame]

When I do it I just use my favorite beef rub, you can really just use salt and pepper if you like. Smoke it till you like the color, then pan it and it's done when it pulls apart easily when you twist a fork in it. Don't rely on temperature - all roasts are different.
I've done 2 roasts side by side and they needed different times.
FYI - I add a lot of peppers and onions, and I cut them pretty small so they all kind of melt into the meat. While you are out get some good rolls that will hold the juice from the beef.
Enjoy!

Some chuckles are down right stubborn. Definitely don't go by temperature alone. When they pull they're done. Even had half of one chuckie lag far behind the other chucks and finally had to give up.

I've made PSB a couple times now, I never put a time limit on it. I will cook the chuck roasts til they hit 160-165 then pan it. I'll cook in the pan until they start pulling apart.

After seeing this online for a while, I decided to give it a go...It went...Everything went well...About 2.5 to reach 160 then covered and put in the oven...Hit 200 @ about 4.5 hrs but still tough...Was pulling easy after about 5.5-6 hrs...Looked great but I WON"T be doing it again anytime soon...No real taste, imo...Brisket on now...

I've done the Wolfe Pit's PSB recipe a couple times now. One slight modification I've found makes a huge difference is the method You use to reduce the liquid. The first time doing PSB, I followed the recipe to the T and let the pan ride an extra 30-60 min uncovered in the oven. The results were delicious, but a bit "juicier" than I preferred. The second time around, I thickened the liquid with a bit a flour while pulling the beef so it was more of a sauce/gravy consistency. IT WAS AMAZING, highly recommended :-D

Roasts on now. I don't know if it's right or wrong but put them on while fire was still heating the smoker up. Nice clean fire and good smoke on them early ? Temp is 150 now and rising.

A long as it's not billowing white smoke, I think you will be fine.

After seeing this online for a while, I decided to give it a go...It went...Everything went well...About 2.5 to reach 160 then covered and put in the oven...Hit 200 @ about 4.5 hrs but still tough...Was pulling easy after about 5.5-6 hrs...Looked great but I WON"T be doing it again anytime soon...No real taste, imo...Brisket on now...

Something must of went wrong, because there's a ton of flavor in pepper stout beef. Between the peppers, onions, and beef melding together. The two times I've made it, were amazing, Great on taco's, omelets, sandwiches. It was packed full of flavor.

Sorry it didn't work out for you though. Maybe you should try it again. I've made it twice and I personally think its one of the best dishes I've made from the smoker.

Roasts on now. I don't know if it's right or wrong but put them on while fire was still heating the smoker up. Nice clean fire and good smoke on them early ? Temp is 150 now and rising.

It'll be fine, I noticed it takes a while after panning to get the chuck roasts to pull. I've learned two nice sized chuck roasts works well with 3 peppers, 3 onions in one pan.

The first time I made this dish I had two chuck roasts, and separated it in two different pans. Was to much peppers,onions in each pan compared to meat.

The 2nd time I made it (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242839)
I used 2 peppers, 2 onions and put both chuck roasts in the same pan. Everyone requested I use more peppers and onions next time. Personally I like more meat and less peppers and onions but I'm gonna see if 3 peppers, 3 onions is the magic number next time.

When I panned my PSB I finished it in the oven at 350 degrees until it was done. I put beef broth in mine, but honestly it probably isn't required as I had to drain a lot of juice out of my PSB when it was finished. But if your using a stout, beer or something like that it probably gives a good flavor so I wouldn't cross that one out.

I wish I could give you a time frame on how long it takes to cook but I can't as I was just cooking based on when the chuck roasts pulled apart easily.

It'll be fine, I noticed it takes a while after panning to get the chuck roasts to pull. I've learned two nice sized chuck roasts works well with 3 peppers, 3 onions in one pan.

The first time I made this dish I had two chuck roasts, and separated it in two different pans. Was to much peppers,onions in each pan compared to meat.

The 2nd time I made it (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242839)
I used 2 peppers, 2 onions and put both chuck roasts in the same pan. Everyone requested I use more peppers and onions next time. Personally I like more meat and less peppers and onions but I'm gonna see if 3 peppers, 3 onions is the magic number next time.

When I panned my PSB I finished it in the oven at 350 degrees until it was done. I put beef broth in mine, but honestly it probably isn't required as I had to drain a lot of juice out of my PSB when it was finished. But if your using a stout, beer or something like that it probably gives a good flavor so I wouldn't cross that one out.

I wish I could give you a time frame on how long it takes to cook but I can't as I was just cooking based on when the chuck roasts pulled apart easily.

Thanks ! I bought three roasts - three red peppers three green peppers and a big bag of vidallia sweet onions. Using beef broth this time - was going to put each roast in a small pan with a few onions and a green and red pepper each -
May be giving a pan away or so so that way it would be easy.

OK all in all went well. Yes it did take a LONGER time than I thought to get fork tender. Finished in oven as I didn't want to keep using up my splits or charcoal after they were covered with foil.
Had a few sandwiches last night on Martins potato rolls and HORSERADISH (thanks Piney) but actually just pulled it all and put in croc pot with peppers and onions to reheat for tonight. Broth is in a separate pot chilled as well. I plan to skim the fat, add a stout and simmer that a while, pour into croc pot and reheat that mix and have some family over tonight to have at it. Thanks for the tips and pointers.
IMG_5145_zpsqgbfaa7y.jpg
Trayed up and ready for foil
IMG_5150_zpsoweddsjx.png
IMG_5149_zpsut7quetm.jpg

OK all in all went well. Yes it did take a LONGER time than I thought to get fork tender. Finished in oven as I didn't want to keep using up my splits or charcoal after they were covered with foil.
Had a few sandwiches last night on Martins potato rolls and HORSERADISH (thanks Piney) but actually just pulled it all and put in croc pot with peppers and onions to reheat for tonight. Broth is in a separate pot chilled as well. I plan to skim the fat, add a stout and simmer that a while, pour into croc pot and reheat that mix and have some family over tonight to have at it. Thanks for the tips and pointers.
IMG_5145_zpsqgbfaa7y.jpg
Trayed up and ready for foil
IMG_5150_zpsoweddsjx.png
IMG_5149_zpsut7quetm.jpg

Looks good from here! Hope it was tasty! Those are some big chuck roasts compared to what I can get here. so yeah the separate pans worked in your case.

Something must of went wrong, because there's a ton of flavor in pepper stout beef. Between the peppers, onions, and beef melding together. The two times I've made it, were amazing, Great on taco's, omelets, sandwiches. It was packed full of flavor.

Sorry it didn't work out for you though. Maybe you should try it again. I've made it twice and I personally think its one of the best dishes I've made from the smoker.

That was my thought too. I don't make it all that often because it has too much of a distinct flavor. It's great for the initial sandwich but I don't find it as useful for leftovers as pulled pork or brisket where I can use them in a bunch of different ways.

Though, I will say that the omelet made with leftover PSB that someone posted a few days ago looked pretty darn tasty.

I'm going to try this, this weekend while my parents are in town! I may try to add a little beef broth, and I'm going to do a mixture of bell peppers and jalapenos to help regulate the heat a little. The big question is what beer to use!?

I have ONE Guinness left in the fridge. I'm not sure if I want to use it or not!
I have the following home brews available:
-Jack Daniels Habanero Crème Ale
-Honey Brown Ale clone
-Blue Moon clone with added orange

Should I just stick with using the one Guinness I have or should I use something from my own kitchen?

That was my thought too. I don't make it all that often because it has too much of a distinct flavor. It's great for the initial sandwich but I don't find it as useful for leftovers as pulled pork or brisket where I can use them in a bunch of different ways.

Though, I will say that the omelet made with leftover PSB that someone posted a few days ago looked pretty darn tasty.

That would be me! Trust me it was tasty!

Back