Behind the scenes of the grand opening of the newest BBQ Brethren BBQ joint

Trust me, brethren...the tower is legit! Great Q, Craig, and it was nice to meet you the other night. Looks like you've got a hit on your hands. Don't let the tall man give you no lip!

Thanks everyone. It has been a crazy month. We are pretty much slammed on Fridays and Saturdays, I'm selling out 90% of the time. Just starting to get a handle on quantities so moving forward at least I have some data to help project sales. I am exhausted, I pretty much do not sleep from Thursday to Saturday night. But the public's responce has been great and it has been worth it (so far)!

That is one thing about the food business, a brutal taskmaster, but at the same time can be very rewarding. Looks like you are doing great, best wishes to your continued success!

KC

Trust me, brethren...the tower is legit! Great Q, Craig, and it was nice to meet you the other night. Looks like you've got a hit on your hands. Don't let the tall man give you no lip!

It was nice meeting you, im glad you enjoyed the food. Tall man is a bad influence, we usually end up closing the doors and hanging at the bar for a few more hours because of him. Look forward to seeing you again- I think we are going to do a private party for the VT/OSU game.

Your welcome any time Ren, just let me know. There are a few weekends coming up where my time at the brewery will be split with some vending, but I'm there 95% of the time. Your welcome to stay at the house as well, it's stumbling distance from the brewery.

I will definitely take you up on that offer. I'll let you know when we have some free dates and go from there!

Visit achieved!

Last Friday the family was lucky enough to spend the evening in Woodstock, VA. Lovely Valley town, spread along Route 11, paralleling the I-81, a nice 1/2 day drive from my daughter's place in Philadelphia.

We had dinner at Shenco's great bar/restaurant. Now, my drinking days are over, so I can't comment on the brews, but my daughter and SIL gave it a nudge and said the selection and quality was excellent - the only trouble was the place is so popular they had sold out of several! The food was uniformly excellent, the best news being that after the disappointment of ribs in my recent Texas jaunt, I can report that Shenco has the lowdown on pork spare ribs, no doubt. Service was tops and we just got in before the place got slammed.

Shenco was kind enough to give us the grand tour - he is a proud lad and should be, its kinda an ideal setup, room to do whatever he wants, a thriving business, obviously satisfied clientele and, with us meeting the senior partner, an harmonious working environment. The location is an old jeans factory and pictures on the wall and the traces of previous usage help lend an unusual 'inner-city'/warehouse vibe to the place.

Personally, if you were going to open a modern-type place, this could be the ideal role-model or template to begin your design upon. I know for sure it would go down a treat in New Zealand!

Thanks Shenco - may the Force be with you, mate.

PS: You do need to be careful once a year when travelling in this part of the world! We arrived on Friday, the day before the annual 'Yard Crawl' for the whole Valley - I mean the WHOLE Valley. Friday afternoon, the place was mid-way through the setup for this event - we were warned to be gone the next morning before 8.30am, after that the 11 is completely jammed and the backup on the I-81 exits has started. Oh, and the tables and displays extend for 46 miles along Route 11 - OMG.

Here is the man, right at home...

Attachments

• ShencoSmokeAtHome.jpg
    ShencoSmokeAtHome.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
Great looking grub, love those sandwiches, and that kitchen is killer.

You are finding this harder than running a design firm? :shock:

Great looking grub, love those sandwiches, and that kitchen is killer.

You are finding this harder than running a design firm? :shock:

That's a good question, the answer is no (mentally) and YES (physically). I dropped 15 pounds in July, I am so tired on Sunday's that I can barely get out of bed. But I'm thriving off of the positive feedback we are getting. And visits from friends like Ralph. We have some REALLY cool events coming up, more details once they get ironed out.

I graduated from MMA in Woodstock. You have just given me a good reason to show up at Homecoming! Congrats, and the best of luck to you.

Looks like my turn will be Saturday, September 26, hopefully with some of those Ohio farkers:becky:

How is that Stumps working out for you? Is the capacity enough?

Love to read stuff like this. A belated congrats and best wishes for continued success.

Not sure how I've missed this... but man oh man... CONGRATS!!! That sweet setup has success written all over it!!!!!!!!

Back