Fire control on cheap offset smoker(and more)

pbj

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I thought I'd post this about fire control with splits on a Chargriller. I started a half chimney of KBB and when it was ashed over I dumped it on a small pile of lump charcoal, then put a 16" split of oak on top. I let it go for 30 minutes. With vents wide open it got to 375F and leveled off. I put the 4 butts on and the temp dropped to 300. I let it gradually drop to 240 (it took an hour) then started adding small splits of apple and pear

Notice how small the fire is. This is the key to successful cooks on a stick burner. This first piece got the temp up to 300.

I started using this size split, one every 30-40 minutes. When the temp would drop to 240 I would put one in and the temp would rise to 278. If I kept the splits the same size it would stay in that range. Not bad for a cheap stick burner.

I always have help when I cook.

You can see his swimming pool behind the smoker. Also note the thin blue smoke. It never got any thicker than this with preheating the wood.

The end results( before pulling)

More pics to come when I pull them.

Good job! I use to just let mine rip at 400, never had complaints though i actually miss it sometimes

• Thanks
Reactions: pbj
You're right on, that's pretty close to the method I've used for more than 20 years.

• Thanks
Reactions: pbj
I don't know why CharGrillers get a bad wrap they are good pits for the money. I cooked on mine for almost 8 yrs before getting a Trailmaster LE last month. Old Buhela put out some good grub over the years.

Back