Chicken question...... not SKIN related

porkingINpublic

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've started noticing my butter I cook chicken in is "washing" rub off the side of my thighs..... am I using too much butter or should I let the rub rest longer on the skin? Any ideas? Am I the only one?

It has more to do with the speed of how fast your butter is melting, but it is wise to let your rub set for a while on the chicken.

I cook them upside down in muffin tins I season both sides and re apply to the top as needed once they are pulled out of the pan.

How do you control the butter melting process? Put an ice cube on top? What is the optimal butter melting time for maximum rub retention?

How do you control the butter melting process? Put an ice cube on top? What is the optimal butter melting time for maximum rub retention?

Thickness of the piece of butter,temp of butter, and temp of cooker....all of these will come into play. We can chat at the next comp if you want?:wink:

In theory, spheres of butter should melt slower than slices. Ideally, you would keep your butter spheres on dry ice until they go on top of your chicken parts.

I'd suggest letting the rub sit on the chicken 3-4 hours before adding butter/margarine to the pan and putting on the cooker.

Does anyone melt the butter in the pan first and put the chicken in the liquid? Good? Bad?

I put the rub on the chicken 15-20 min before it goes on the smoker and the butter right on top of it after i apply the rub. Put all that back in the cooler until smoking time.

Never had much issue with butter taking the rub off the chicken. I do have the chicken sitting up on one of those cheap grates inside the halfpan though.

I'm not a chicken expert by any means but it's been our best category this year.

I don't cook in a muffin pan because I don't cook thighs, but would putting the rub under the skin help fix this problem? Again, I have no point of reference for this, but that just seems like an obvious fix (or not...).

Back