Hatch Chile Roast Plus......

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
16Adams put it perfect. It's a grand time of year. Hatch season.

First my Hatch chile roast for '15. This year I used the Santa Maria Grill.

nGb9oQyiIof6EKijnlHV1Gaaitjn9tApiS0mEFRWD40=w1744-h981-no

It was windy on Sunday so I played it safe and used briqs since I'm in the foothills and Angeles National Forest is my backyard.

GWkClcvU5_UmdToMzEB-NN7EMvXYTQRoYlw4udxQZTw=w1744-h981-no

First batch

dmlFdfNh4nv2ANKiXVI6hc_U5mf_6_0BhD-_H0qDctM=w1744-h981-no

zDMufZJ3UWKdhr-NViWTU3KyEwA_sEMaHSpfIpFLmKU=w1744-h981-no

OnuavyEii-7Dcyy1QzTBxy8WAIJoLR3iGNGDU-1zO0E=w1744-h981-no

Hot day so refreshments a must :thumb:

XpeuMFJo_R3QNMrZseZSmrzWYLw9U_RJj1T0VYWm5L8=w552-h981-no

Plastic trash bag to steam in after the roast

vxfWzUyKr9xO12tzrlMgV5nG3EkI5kClnleP9Pt5Ck4=w1744-h981-no

Time to peel. Ice water dip to cool it down....

KEEiMhSchBL39kUu9s2fQFCxvw3mw5AxpeTKknDDfjo=w1744-h981-no

After the ice water the skin comes right off

mvJVPTP4iYTZHVs-YjrSeFJqKlIHjVN-RIafEr4Wi4s=w1920-h931-no

All the waste

WttISliov95961EB-ZDC1vOzwlVV9ioRBgUkZUs8eGc=w1744-h981-no

Vac packed for the freezer which will last me until next season

onXxVbYR27mBTLfvtOWGjilCZcKm0HWOvu_i5hCc-Pw=w552-h981-no

Now with all this Hatch I had to make something. I decided on Hatch chile grill fried chicken

Cut the quarters up

JmcTjcSFsiFaojp_Mz_zM7hDTdXYzHEu6xBCPyQtIdI=w1744-h981-no

Blended up roasted Hatch chiles, jalapenos, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, sour cream, Mexican cream, milk, cayenne, parprika, onion powder, cumin, and lime juice as a marinade

P_Rl9_4lBSP6lgiaOl0qci7atIR1MMjtecBRmbezQLk=w1744-h981-no

nToZ4NUq6RJq-alinYTiWURl1q7Vi9IAgI64avub4e8=w1744-h981-no

Into the fridge overnight. Stay tuned until tomorrow:becky::twisted:...........

UKyX8U6XRWXyas0w8lg1XpvnQBWlFizpWC9Y4QcTqdE=w1744-h981-no

You've got my attention. No doubt it's going to be awesome!!

Hatch Chili looks like ones we put in Salad.
Are they Hot?
Ours are sweet,
help me out here

You've got my attention. No doubt it's going to be awesome!!

:thumb:

Can hardly wait. Especially fist time doing grill fried chicken. I just had a Hatch chicken vision today. :becky:

Hatch Chili looks like ones we put in Salad.
Are they Hot?
Ours are sweet,
help me out here

I know what you mean.

These come around once a year from New Mexico Titch. They're "certified" peppers and rightfully so. There are substitutes but none like the real thing. Some look like duck, walk like a duck... but they're not.

They're available Mild, Medium, Hot.

Very nice - especially with a grill that big. Last weekend I got some for the first time (ever). I only have a 18" kamado and although I only had ~10 lbs of peppers, I ended up wishing I had roasted them at the store by the time I was done. Other than the issue of bringing a hot steaming bag of peppers home in your vehicle, do you see any advantage to roasting them yourself?

Looks like you are in the peel then freeze camp (as opposed to freezing skin on). Is that easier to do when they are just roasted? The peeling isn't bad, but I don't think I have the patience to seed all of them at once so I went with freezing them skin on.

Heck yes! Looks amazing. I've been trying to find some hatch chilis here since I moved back from AZ. So farkin jealous

It's tomorrow - lets eat! :hungry:

Nice, I just picked some up last weekend, would have never thought I would get some all the way up in MN but there they were, waited till Monday to roast and peel. Will try some up today for some supper, word of warning to those who have never used them wear gloves. Either I got a really hot batch of the hot variety or something because even after 2 days my hands are still a little tingly!

Ordering 5 lbs. Looks great Sako and i know right where i'll be roasting them.

Very nice - especially with a grill that big. Last weekend I got some for the first time (ever). I only have a 18" kamado and although I only had ~10 lbs of peppers, I ended up wishing I had roasted them at the store by the time I was done. Other than the issue of bringing a hot steaming bag of peppers home in your vehicle, do you see any advantage to roasting them yourself?

Looks like you are in the peel then freeze camp (as opposed to freezing skin on). Is that easier to do when they are just roasted? The peeling isn't bad, but I don't think I have the patience to seed all of them at once so I went with freezing them skin on.

Thanks Rustwood!

Honestly no real advantage of roasting it at the store or at home. I think it's fun roasting them at home. I have a few grills that I can roast in big batches so I do it myself. It would've drove me nuts if I had to do it on my kamado so I totally get what you mean.

As for the skin, I like to peel it so when I need, I grab it from the freezer and it's ready to go. Thaws right up. With the ice water method I peeled 27lbs of in a pinch. :thumb:

It's tomorrow - lets eat! :hungry:

Tonight!:becky:

Since we're playing with heat I also decided to do a whole jerk chicken also. Gotta figure out if I want to PBC it or beer can it in the kamado. :rolleyes:

Here's the teaser. Walkerswood style

Lb4BsvwblgA99D3k3pNypcLRxV2-5LJPF6qXPJQneNY=w1744-h981-no

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Looks tasty. I picked up 5lbs here in North Alabama, medium and hot. Tonight is roasting night. I like your ice bath method. Probably peel but leave the seeds and membranes.

Looks tasty. I picked up 5lbs here in North Alabama, medium and hot. Tonight is roasting night. I like your ice bath method. Probably peel but leave the seeds and membranes.

Thanks! Yep, the skin comes right off and everything else stays intact.

I bought about 20 lbs of them last thursday. The gasser came in handy roasting all of those! First time buying hatch but heard a lot of good things on here so decided to stock up.

You're makin' me hungry Sako. Looks great! :-D

Wow...

Man..those looked good and fresh!!

We just got some hatch chiles down here in New Orleans...not quite as fresh as those, but I bought about 2lbs and roasted them in the oven and peeled them.

Nothing like that taste, eh?

One thing I did want to bring up...just a question and well, my philosophy on roasting and peeling peppers.

In your images, you seemed to show you taking your fresh roasted hatch chiles and throwing them into an ice bath to "shock" them.

I've used that method many a time peeling tomatoes...but with peppers, I never do that. I have also see people peel them under running water to help get the peels off.

In my humble opinion, you are washing off good flavor by rinsing them while peeling them, or even the good old ice bath shock method.

I tend to take my chiles after they're roasted and usually throw them into a large ziploc bag and seal them and allow them to steam. I, like many others am also trying when I can to avoid having hot foods in contact with plastic, so at times I throw them into a paper bag and seal it, or put into a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap, but not letting the plastic touch the food.

Anyway, after they have "steamed" for a bit, I find they peel quite readily without immersing them in water...and even in the container I steamed them in..there is residual pepper juice that is 100% flavor.

I just feel hitting them with water is losing hard earned efforts to capture roasted chile flavor.

Just my $0.02...I know everyone has their own ways and methods, but wanted to just throw my philosophy on chile roasting and peeling and preserving flavor out there to the group.

Everyone have a great evening!!

cayenne

One major reason I throw them in the ice bath is for my hands not to get burned. Once I steam them in a bag and when it comes to peeling, they're still piping hot. I dip them in the ice bath for a quick sec to cool them down. Only reason you see them floating is because I wanted to snap a pic. They never are left in the ice water too long.

The cook

I used the kamado with mesquite and oak lump

QOpCoGVwYa4hNYdGYr3jLdObS0jl1nOf9c7DzxQqILU=w1744-h981-no

Ge7rEFZPhY08MZfb6C9u4GQVsuer0Blj8ryIP8EXXTA=w1744-h981-no

Deflector on

fh0tH1g_RKAhUXSojbLsrw_mSHDgvoKCPfi4HGk2Qo0=w1744-h981-no

Jerk chicken in the middle and legs, thighs dredged in flour and crushed potato chip mixture. Two pieces are nekkid.

xzGpObDgke5Hkc_Uam4TkT39yNTIYE3DGH7rgbMlyk8=w1744-h981-no

Corn and Mexican rice goin' on the gasser in the meantime

s-1JI7-m_4ouphl8-fUf5MutdcmRUOzfvEnfnFh9jAo=w1744-h981-no

375* and about an hour later

iqWAHtu2xnNR18CwGJQEXxAoyRLknmzJQFWwbhNfOac=w1744-h981-no

AVU5ksBh6DvXzML0CNcse4ZrHNR56HZp0ba5dqh7K-w=w1744-h981-no

Taste test :thumb::thumb::thumb: Crispiest skin ever

tQryW9E5AfFif7SoS4vpp6UlWJ7af3GLsvJrKc1wl6s=w1744-h981-no

Plated

vhhzzFVRSz6-HYaao49HrwyZWTufhLfmsvCSi62wF_I=w1744-h981-no

P4Ey_92xxtE-HRE_rllcw056DigqjE6TmwjSmwN57v0=w1744-h981-no

Hot sauce of course

MEMicRLKy8A_sxP87ApPQxDyOqScfGrmSI08GLKMSq8=w1744-h981-no

Skin was unbelievably crispy even sitting for 30 mins before we ate

VknoLhr6q85FL-WwFPhDqBoJ-3I3rrni104PLw1Xqn8=w1744-h981-no

AwDWJSHjw1hPnIZ-V8jv4VgdaDWYZPliKDBAnFH0seo=w1744-h981-no

The jerk chicken was crispy skinned as well

LePbHm0aEgz0AR2UWacgYUyBtAtA9zT24cNW2jY1HMU=w1744-h981-no

6tBRWbFWPSZkXtXWNEFsjpgpbmdzAzM8oezL_8NhUSM=w1744-h981-no

This is definitely a keeper. The crispiest skin yet and packed with a ton of flavor and especially the Hatch chiles.

Thanks for looking!!

Back