General Tso's Sauce used on...?

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
We have totally fallen in love with General Tso's sauce.

Obviously it is killer on Wings and Shrimp!

Thinking it might work well on a lot of things, but looking for ideas.
Maybe some veggies?

Thanks,

TIM

I think it would be good on almost anything.

Have you got a recipe for it?

Lots of recipes on-line which are way too complicated for us.
Got it here:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Chef-General-sauce-bottle/dp/B004W2TFGW/ref=sr_1_2?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1413492673&sr=1-2&keywords=general+tso+sauce"]Amazon.com : Iron Chef General Tso's sauce & Glaze (40 oz. bottle) : Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-ljvl2o1L.@@AMEPARAM@@41-ljvl2o1L[/ame]

This stuff is "DA BOMB" in our household! 8)

TIM

General Tso's sauce is very easy to make and is good on everything. Here is a pic of General Tso's burnt ends:

IMG_4092-2.jpg

and also General Tso's pulled pork sammie:

IMG_4164-1.jpg

The original link and recipes are here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122810

I just bought a bottle and was thinking of trying on a 1/4 rack of ribs, just in case I don't like it.

I know you mentioned shrimp.
But I cut up a fillet of some kind of white fish into 1" chunks. Walleye, crappie, flounder, etc.
Dredge in seasoned flour, egg wash, flour again and let that set up for a half hour or more in the refrig. Fry it in peanut oil, then drain on paper towel. Add the chunks to a pan at med-high heat with the General Tso's sauce, heat thoroughly.
Once everything is hot, add over steamed rice. POW!

How does that sauce compare to restaurant tso sauce? I love my locals raunts tso's sauce but have never been able to replicate or buy anything close to it.

We have already decided that this is an "assertive" sauce, so the plan is to dispense it from a warmed up squeeze bottle to figure out how much to use on various things.
It will clearly overpower other flavors if used in excess 8)

Lots of good ideas.
Just to pick out a few...

How about deep fried mushrooms?

I use the stuff the sell at Trader Joe's on MOINKs.
We are thinking this will work on all those "bacon wrapped" appetizers I make. Just drizzle it on instead of dunking.

I just bought a bottle and was thinking of trying on a 1/4 rack of ribs, just in case I don't like it.

Doing 6 slabs tomorrow and it will be available on the side to drizzle on. We think (hope) it will work great!

Kapn-
That sauce would totally rock on a batch of bok choy, onions and peppers.
My family devours it!

Good idea. We are gonna try it as a salad dressing type thing to see how it goes.

I'm thinking maybe on some fried pork carnitas!

bob

YUP! And on some pork steaks also. Doing the pork steaks tonight to check it out.

"How does that sauce compare to restaurant tso sauce? I love my locals raunts tso's sauce but have never been able to replicate or buy anything close to it. "

Huskerman,
We have no way to compare it to something in your area. It is "similar" to the sauce in the 3 restaurants we go to sometimes. And they are all a bit different from each other. All I can suggest is to buy a bottle and try it. Supposed to be available from Publix and a bunch of other stores.

Great Stuff!!

Thanks for the ideas guys.

TIM

The pork steak idea sounds great Tim. Please let us know how that turns out. Anything has got to be better than poring that crappy Maul's BBQ sauce on it. :puke:

Sounds good, but I wouldn't use fish sauce in it. Soy would definitely be the way to go if you wanna go Chinese style. Fish sauce is more Thai/Vietnamese

Deep fried Veal Ribs, any deep fried pork or chicken

Sounds good, but I wouldn't use fish sauce in it. Soy would definitely be the way to go if you wanna go Chinese style. Fish sauce is more Thai/Vietnamese

Dave,
Not sure I understand your guidance. :redface:

We don't get picky about Oriental flavors, but always eager to learn.

Can you elaborate as to where we are going wrong??

Thanks,

TIM

Back