General Tso's cauliflower bites

PitRow

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
I made these as a dinner side the other night and they were a huge hit, enough so that I could see these being a main dish. Next time I might do them in the pellet grill to see how that comes out. Anyway, they were almost gone before I could snap a picture.

f69215508feb640cfbe83c4bd96fd14a.jpg

For the cauliflower:
1 head of cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets
About 1/2 cup of flour
3 eggs beaten with 2 Tbsp water
2 cups panko bread crumbs

For the sauce:
6 Tbsp soy sauce (I used low sodium)
6 Tbsp sugar
4 Tbsp rice wine (I didn’t have rice wine so I just used white cooking wine)
3 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 - 2 Tbsp Huy Fong (rooster) chili garlic paste (I used 2 and it was plenty spicy)
2 Tbsp corn starch

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Setup a breading station with one bowl of flour, one bowl with beaten eggs, final bowl with panko crumbs.
  4. Dredge the cauliflower in batches first in the flour, then the eggs and finally in the panko until well coated.
  5. Place onto baking sheet in a single layer, bake 20-25 minutes until just taking on some color.
  6. Meanwhile mix all the sauce ingredients together in a small sauce pan, and heat until nice and thick.
  7. When cauliflower is done, place into a bowl and pour sauce over top. Toss until well coated.
Serve warm.

I could see that taking a little bit of smoke from the pellet grill and being even better.

Just noting the sugar content. OMG, that's sweet.

It it meant to be that sweet? "General TSO" anything as far as I can tell is a modified sweet and sour. Maybe not enough sour.

Other than that, I'd smash it!

Cheers!

Bill

I've had a bottle of General Tso's sauce sitting in the pantry for a while. Think I'll try using it with this.

Thanks for the idea, yours obviously were good!

Just noting the sugar content. OMG, that's sweet.

It it meant to be that sweet? "General TSO" anything as far as I can tell is a modified sweet and sour. Maybe not enough sour.

Other than that, I'd smash it!

Cheers!

Bill

I didn't notice it being overly sweet, though here in the states everything tends to be sweet, especially Americanized Chinese food. If anything the chili garlic paste is the prevalent taste, but you could probably cut back on the sugar by half and not notice it.

Back