Toothpich Test

Rednekked

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Is the tootkpick test on ribs the same as the probe test on say a brisket.
I can tell when a brisket is done, but my ribs aren't as consistant as I would like. The bend test on ribs doesn't work too good once you've overcooked them and they are falling off the bone. Just looking for how much resistance I should feel with the toothpick.

Is the tootkpick test on ribs the same as the probe test on say a brisket.
I can tell when a brisket is done, but my ribs aren't as consistant as I would like. The bend test on ribs doesn't work too good once you've overcooked them and they are falling off the bone. Just looking for how much resistance I should feel with the toothpick.
The best way I can think of to explain the resistance is to compare the resistance to how your teeth would feel going through the meat. I go for slight resistance, others would go for none.

If they break on the bend test back off your cook time, a good rib should bite clean from the bone and not require the use of a spoon. I don't foil my ribs so maybe that is the difference.

Yes the toothpick test works great :-D. Like any method just takes a little practice. Like dadsr4 said there are a few ways to "feel" how done you like them. When it slides in smoothly it should be done. Also as long as you hit in the middle of the meat I know people that actually temp ribs and pull them around 200 and works every time. Yeah it is a small area, but absolutely can be done.

If they break on the bend test back off your cook time, a good rib should bite clean from the bone and not require the use of a spoon. I don't foil my ribs so maybe that is the difference.

What he said.. If your doing the bend test then you have to check them every so often. Watch for the meat to start pulling back on the bones. When you pick the rack up about in the middle, the rack should kind of flop and you should see the meat cracking a little from the bending. When you start to see the cracking it's time to glaze. Smoke about 30 minutes more and then wrap each rack in foil, stack them and put them in a cooler for about an hour. They're done and should be almost fall off the bone....but no quite. You should get the perfect bite.:wink:

I use the toothpick test religiously. As others have said, takes a bit of trial and error. I usually look for resistance similar to pushing a toothpick into a jar of crunchy peanut butter. I know that sounds weird, but that's kind of what I liken it to.

I use the toothpick test religiously. As others have said, takes a bit of trial and error. I usually look for resistance similar to pushing a toothpick into a jar of crunchy peanut butter. I know that sounds weird, but that's kind of what I liken it to.
That makes sense to me.

I use the toothpick test also! I have tried the temp and pulled at 200 but they were not done so I figured that ribs were like brisket and temp is not a final answer!

Rick!!

Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to do about six racks for the super bowl. I'll pull at different times and note the resistance on the toothpick test. Again, thanks.

I do the toothpick test on beef ribs, but for SLC's I just stick with the bend test and usually am able to get them right around bite through with very little pull. I smoke my ribs around 275* and they take 3.5 to 4 hours total cook time. My schedule:

12 PM - Ribs on the smoker that is already producing Thin Blue Smoke (TBS)
2 PM - Remove ribs from smoker to a tray. Take them inside to wrap in foil. Return to smoker.
3 PM - Remove wrapped ribs from smoker. Take inside to unwrap. Return to smoker.
3:30 PM - Start checking for bend test. I grab at one end with a pair of tongs and look for a 90* bend and cracking of the outer layer.

I check each rack for bendy. They usually start coming off at the 3:45 mark and are all off by 4 pm.

Attachments

• Bendy Ribs 1.jpg
    Bendy Ribs 1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 270
  • Bendy Ribs 2.jpg
    Bendy Ribs 2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 270
  • Ribs.jpg
    Ribs.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 114
I do the toothpick test on beef ribs, but for SLC's I just stick with the bend test and usually am able to get them right around bite through with very little pull. I smoke my ribs around 275* and they take 3.5 to 4 hours total cook time. My schedule:

12 PM - Ribs on the smoker that is already producing Thin Blue Smoke (TBS)
2 PM - Remove ribs from smoker to a tray. Take them inside to wrap in foil. Return to smoker.
3 PM - Remove wrapped ribs from smoker. Take inside to unwrap. Return to smoker.
3:30 PM - Start checking for bend test. I grab at one end with a pair of tongs and look for a 90* bend and cracking of the outer layer.

I check each rack for bendy. They usually start coming off at the 3:45 mark and are all off by 4 pm.

Those are good pictures of the meat cracking I was talking about. Yours are cracked a bit more than mine, but what the heck..:clap2:

Thanks Pitbull. To be 100% honest, that is a picture I found on the web to explain the cracking. I thought it easily explained what was meant by the cracking. The other two pics are truly mine.

Back