Suggestions for Reheating After a 3 Day delay

JohnH12

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I got volunteered to smoke about 4 or 5 butts for an RV camp out dinner.
We leave home on a Wednesday and the dinner isn't until that Saturday late afternoon.
I want to cook the meat a couple of days before we leave because I can't take the smoker to the park.
I don't have an oven in the RV and 4 butts are probably to much for any pot I have to use the hot water method.
I normally like cook the butts to 190* IT for slicing but can take them to 200*+ if I have to for pulling.
How do I store the cooked meat (freeze vs refrigerate) after it's done and then heat it for serving at the camp ground?

Smitty's right

As Smitty says, vac seal. If you are only waiting a few days between cook and serve, you don't even need to freeze. But, unless my math is wrong, you are almost at four days, so freezing right after sealing is your best, safest bet.

My advice is to seal no more than two lbs per vac pack so that reheating can be done more quickly and more evenly.

Thanks. It looks like it'll be pulled, vac packed, and frozen in 2# batches as recommended. I bought some of the Food Saver pleated rolls in case I decide to keep one whole so I can have some sliced in the mix also to see how it goes and because I prefer sliced.
Unless someone recommends different, I'll leave any sauce until after the reheat. That way those who want it and those who don't will be OK with it. (I hope)
I still have a remote possibility that I can get someone to tow the smoker to the park. That way I can smoke it onsite like I prefer.

save the drippings and de fat them, then add a little to the packages before you seal them up.

that way when you put them into boiling water to reheat them, they will be a little moist and you wont have to add other moisture that will take away from the flavor once you put it all into the serving container.

Back