Green egg question

daninnewjersey

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Buddy of mine has a round pizza stone and wants to know if there's some type of stand or something he can put the stone on so it's not directly on the cooking surface of his egg. Said something about the stone getting too hot directly on the cooking surface. I'm a UDS guy and as such I looked at him like a deer in the headlights when he asked me if I knew of anything that might work...so I'm asking all of you......:biggrin1::biggrin1:

I put the stone on the three feet that came with my Egg. It creates an air space between the plate setter and the stone.

Attachments

• IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 198
I use two stones one on the cooking grate and the other raised about 4 inches. I have a wire basket that is the perfect shape to hold the second grate from my vision grill. I put the stone I use for pizza on there.

Your friend can buy a "plate setter" from BGE dealer to put it on. Or, he can go to ceramicgrillstore.com and they have a lot of interesting options.

My egg set up:

Platesetter 'legs up'
Grid
Raised grid (gets the pie up in the dome so the toppings cook faster from radiant heat off the dome)
And finally the stone

Looks like this:

EZlnaxAh.jpg

I do the same set up as Bob S - plate setter feet down, then the pizza stone on the feet that came with the Egg.
I made the mistake of forgetting the pizza stone once and cooked the pizza straight on the plate setter and burnt the za to a crisp...

The raised grid is the winner, in my experience. Put the stone on top. I also put some foil on the stone while things are heating up. The idea is to try to get more heat coming down from the top so it melts without burning the crust. I use some like (but not exactly) this:

http://www.staples.com/Grill-Dome-G...gn=793245254&gclid=CP3hn_rdwNMCFd6FswodpIgDAA

You can also smoke a steak on it above the main grid, then remove the main, flip it upside down so it's close to the coals and do a superhot sear. BBQ Dragon recommended for that.

If your friend only wants to separate the bottom of the stone from direct heat, and he lacks a factory plate setter, perhaps he can get a second pizza stone to place directly on top of the cooking grate. Then, three copper plumbing elbows, about 3/4" pipe, are placed in a triangle pattern, slightly smaller than the diameter of the pizza stones, on top of the direct-heat stone. The stone intended for actually cooking the pizzas is then placed on top of the elbows: no muss, no fuss. And....it makes for a pretty darned good pizza.

Back