Reverse Sear?

jham0077

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have been lurking and poking around here for 8 months or so. It's been a long time(long...long) since I have made a burger, steak, chicken, or chop that wasn't worth eating. And thanks to here:thumb:, I'm working real hard on my ribs, pork, and brisket. If I could get the wife to eat Q more often I could practice more.

I can't grasp this reverse sear thing I keep reading about. I can cook a burger(about 6oz) to a medium rare in about 9 minutes, rest for 5ish. And a steak(ribeye, 16oz cut) to a little under medium rare in about the same time, with a 10 or so rest.

What would a reverse sear do to make my burger or steak any better?

It yields a more juicy product, I went back to just a normal sear myself, Try it many like it better.

It's not really needed on a burger unless its a monster. Reverse sear really works best on those big cuts, like a tri tip, Roast Beef, or Pork loin. Anything bigger than 2 in thick that you need to cook to certain lower temp (med, med rare etc) You slowly raise the temp of the entire piece of meat to just short of your target temp, then give a quick sear at the end.

Ohhhhh, okay.. I had to think back about a week and a half ago when the in-laws were in town. They like filets, much thicker than your average ribeye, even a 16oz cut. They also like them MEDIUM-WELL to WELL DONE. Those words gives me chills when referring to steaks. So I had their two filets, our two ribeyes(12's this time) about a dozen bacon wrapped, shrimp stuffed, jalapenos, and the kids brats to get done at the same time. Their steaks worried me the most since the last time I cooked a filet was the last time they were up(about a year). So I shuffled coals around and started the filets on the cooler side, the peppers next to them, and the brats on the hottest. The peppers were done first(apps of course) so off they came. I put our ribeyes on and played musically grill with the brats and the filets to get color/char and to make sure they were good and done. There was the slightest hint of pink to the filets. And both ate every bite, so maybe I did it right.

So I guess I kinda reverse seared the filets and didn't even realize it.
I think I'll bookmark that amazingrib site.

It yields a more juicy product, I went back to just a normal sear myself, Try it many like it better.

I'm not sold on reverse sear yielding a more juicy product. Several studies have been done on this (America's Test Kitchen, Alton Brown, etc.) and the results were very similar to a "normal" sear.

But... Cooking indirect with some wood smoke and then searing will give you a different tasting product. Whether it is better or not is up to the folks eating it :-D

True that it's a good idea for the larger burgers but I like doing it when cooking a large amount of regular size as well. This weekend i gotta cook 60 burgers and for me it's just easier slow smoking them and giving a quick sear on the grill.

I'm smoking two tri-tips next weekend and plan on searing at the end before resting it. I'll report back what I find out.

Consider this. For a family of 6 we will buy 5 – 6 good steaks and spend $10 – 15 a pound for good steaks. You have to know your audience and appetites. Do lighter eaters split a steak, etc… Inevitably you end up with some good meet half eaten on some plates. Instead, buy 1 or 2 larger, higher quality, thick cut steaks. Or buy a whole strip roast and cut your own at $7 a pound. Prepare as outlined ^^^^ (great tutorial). Carve thick slices and serve on a platter. Each person gets their choice of good quality, well prepared steak. No one is robbed of the primal pleasure of cutting that thick rare meet into bite size pieces and leftovers are great the next day with a quick pan fry.

For the cost of buying those 5 – 6 decent steaks for one meal, I buy a larger piece, cut my own and make several meals out of it. Properly packed and frozen, quick to thaw in a pinch and less waste.

IMG_20140607_174659_zps863fba01.jpg

IMG_20140607_175901_zps48bc699e.jpg

And the best part is cooking tonight’s dinner while preparing tomorrow's.

IMG_20140607_180109_edit_zps324bf29c.jpg

IMG_20140628_193605_zpsbd7e4a91.jpg

True that it's a good idea for the larger burgers but I like doing it when cooking a large amount of regular size as well. This weekend i gotta cook 60 burgers and for me it's just easier slow smoking them and giving a quick sear on the grill.

I wouldn't want to try more than 10 or so the way I do it. When that lid comes open for the flip, cheese goes on, if desired, and the buns get scattered for the toasting... One could have a major grease fire if it doesn't get closed back pretty quick.

Back