THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Doing some work on forum. You may experience an error when u try to post or save a setting. It's only temporary.

TinySmokin

Full Fledged Farker
Hey all you Farkers,

Been cooking a lot of Butts for my American Legion for dinner specials...and now due to my foolishness they tasted some of my Pork Ribs. The manager was asking what it would take to smoke 15 to 20 slabs at once. While I could do this on the YS640 with vertical racks...he said he would not mind smoking at the Legion...problem is our current financial situation only has a low budget...say 500 ish.
I was thinking about maybe a Big Poppa UDS kit. I heard the only problem with them was adding charcoal / wood. I have a plasma cutter and welders of all sorts so I could probably mod in a side door for access. Still very new to all this and while I have had pretty good success on pellet grills...I have zero experience with a UDS.

Being able to smoke 2 full Briskets or 2 Pork Butts or 15-20 slabs of ribs or is the capacity I need. Not all at the same time.

So what would be the best Farkin deal for the situation above...

Thanks

A couple of UDS's would work, especially hanging them like a pit barrel....or you could build your own. With 2 drums you'd also have the ability to smoke lots of butts etc...also.

What's your budget and do you have access to drums? The kits are pretty sweet and easy to use....total cost less than 300

Last edited:
I've hung up to 6 slabs in a tiny 16 gallon drum. You should be able to hang close to 20??? in a 55 gal drum, I would imagine, depending on how you configure the hanging rods.

I'd build or have built a single wall cabinet smoker or buy a Meatlocker.
Main draw back to UDS is access to lower grates.

http://bighatbbq.com/smokers/

I know a cpl guys who run these homemade jobs and they do pretty well on charcoal n wood chunks - run 4-6 hrs before reloading

Have you considered 22" wsm? Fits your budget, and with a grate mod you could smoke 12 racks of ribs at once

No need for a side access door, you can get 8-12 hour burns easily depending on what type of fuel you use.

You won't need to add any more charcoal to your rib cook. I have gone over 24 hours on one basket of charcoal in a UDS. Don't add a side door it will only hurt your performance with a UDS. The only way you fit this many racks in there is if you hang them as mentioned above.

I sold my file cabinet smoker to a guy who wanted to do 15 slabs at once - 5 per drawer in rib racks

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f_3CaAlUbvQ[/ame]

Sounds like to me with your welding equipment you need to scan Craig's list for a propane tank and build your own.

The thing is I own a bunch of welding equipment...but just learning how to use it. I had a great friend who passed away way to early and could literally build dang near anything in his shop...he gave me a stick welder, MIG, TIG, Huge Spot Welder, Wire feed and a plasma cutter. My welding skills leave a lot to be desired...but improving.

A couple of UDS's would work, especially hanging them like a pit barrel....or you could build your own. With 2 drums you'd also have the ability to smoke lots of butts etc...also.

What's your budget and do you have access to drums? The kits are pretty sweet and easy to use....total cost less than 300

I've hung up to 6 slabs in a tiny 16 gallon drum. You should be able to hang close to 20??? in a 55 gal drum, I would imagine, depending on how you configure the hanging rods.

This is what I was wondering is what is the realistic capacity of these...I realized that having air movement is crucial. Hanging them was what I was thinking...Probably a dumb question...but do they ever rip the meat and drop from hooks?

The Idea of 2 UDS is not a bad idea either....

You won't need to add any more charcoal to your rib cook. I have gone over 24 hours on one basket of charcoal in a UDS. Don't add a side door it will only hurt your performance with a UDS. The only way you fit this many racks in there is if you hang them as mentioned above.

Good to know... Door is history :-D Hanging them is what I have seen mostly with the UDS smokers...just never seen one stuffed before and don't know what is a realistic gap between slabs should be to not mess up the system.

As far as the Drums go I have only found the ones from ULine on the Web. I will be running around Wichita tomorrow on Business and was trying to find a source a little cheaper on the web in Wichita...somebody has to have some used barrels.

Get UNLINED barrels, to save yourself work when UD'sing.

Ribs can be side loaded, meaning a whole bunch can be stood on their sides
in a rib rack, then switched. So you can do a whole bunch.

Have you considered 22" wsm? Fits your budget, and with a grate mod you could smoke 12 racks of ribs at once

Last summer I smoked 12 racks of ribs at one time on my WSM 22. Used rib racks, and also used bamboo skewers as spacers to make sure the smoke could flow between racks. I am typically all for racks touching, but not as it relates to cooking. I had 8 racks on the top grate, and 4 on the bottom grate. Could have fit 4 more racks on the bottom with no problem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 84
Last summer I smoked 12 racks of ribs at one time on my WSM 22. Used rib racks, and also used bamboo skewers as spacers to make sure the smoke could flow between racks. I am typically all for racks touching, but not as it relates to cooking. I had 8 racks on the top grate, and 4 on the bottom grate. Could have fit 4 more racks on the bottom with no problem.

Nice work! Good idea too.

Back