2014 beef price increase

82's BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Thought I would pass this along. I just got off the phone with our local butcher about getting our price for Prime brisket this year. She told me good thing I called early because beef prices are suppose to take off next week. I was quoted $2.95/LB, but that price is only good for today's order, looks like I am going to place an order for our comp season.

What is the name of your butcher? Prime Grade huh?..in champaign you can't even get choice grade for that price!wtf...maybe samsclub choice for that price...That is the price per/lbs for a case of brisket. Ground chuck here is $5/lbs...Ima go double check brisket price today, since I need to pick up meat for comp. chili for tomorrow. Although at that price it might be worth driving the 35mins to danville to get prime grade brisket!

Wish we had a costo, we have Gordons Food Service and think brisket is a lil more there. Although the same brand of ribs packaged in two's is cheaper at gordons, then same ribs in three's at sams...

Beef in our area just jumped $0.40 a pound and they say it will slowly climb higher.
This is due to the high corn prices last year.
As feed lots sold off their stock because it was too expensive to feed.
Now the big problem is rebuilding the stock. I know feed lots are buying heifers as well as steers. Now this only adds to the problem as the production herd is not being increased by them doing this.
It'll take about 5 years for this whole mess to balance out, so expect the price to go up and continue in that direction for a while.

Around my area folks are not raising as many as before. Lots of pasture has been turned into farmland and it's hard work wrestling 1200# beefers. Corn prices are almost half of what they were a little over a year ago so hopefully we can get more cattle raised for BBQ'ing.

The first post was in January. Today’s price for choice at RD Excel or National is $3.75. It will be above $4 before years end. The cryo pack does not look good at all, I love my supplier.

Thought I would pass this along. I just got off the phone with our local butcher about getting our price for Prime brisket this year. She told me good thing I called early because beef prices are suppose to take off next week. I was quoted $2.95/LB, but that price is only good for today's order, looks like I am going to place an order for our comp season.

I just paid $3.49 a pound here for choice! What's the name of your butcher? I'm stopping the next time I drive through.

My local butcher wants $5.99 a pound for prime.

I just paid $3.49 a pound here for choice! What's the name of your butcher? I'm stopping the next time I drive through.

My local butcher wants $5.99 a pound for prime.

That post was from January. This is an old thread that was resurrected.

Walmarts in my area are charging $3.58/lb for packers and $7.98/lb for flats.:shock:

btw, those packers have a fat cap thicker then the flat section.:roll:

Back