Sunday Spare Ribs

CakeM1x

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Some spare ribs rubbed with plowboys yardbird and onto the kamado at 275 with some cherry/apple/hickory. Did one with a wrap and one without.

On they go
24752448305_3491b77035_b.jpg

2 hours in and time to wrap one
24634654352_2e76b8b714_b.jpg

wrapped one finished about 45minutes before the unwrapped did
24634654432_6fdb82ddd2_b.jpg

24384791369_ea9a43d91b_b.jpg

24124281594_88e240365a_b.jpg

Very tender/juicy
24384791459_692a4023cd_b.jpg

My plate with some doctored up beans
24726243426_7792586075_b.jpg

The wrapped version was better than the unwrapped due to the bottom of the unwrapped ribs being hard/overcooked but still moist on the upper part. For some reason when I do ribs and don't wrap the underside is always tough compared to the rest of the meat. This is even if I do 225. Does anyone know who why that happens? I'm close to just giving up on trying them unwrapped due to perfect results with a wrap.

nice looking ribs. i have cooked in a lot of vertical cookers but never had an issue with ribs burning. i would try flipping the ribs meat side down for a few minutes to lessen the heat on the bottom.

Those ribs look great. I don't have any problem with a burned bottom, but I cook my ribs hotter and therefore quicker. This could make a difference????

Wow nice bones...that's a good lookin meal!

When I picture ribs that is exactly what comes to mind. Just plain killer. :thumb: :thumb:

Some spare ribs rubbed with plowboys yardbird and onto the kamado at 275 with some cherry/apple/hickory. Did one with a wrap and one without.

The wrapped version was better than the unwrapped due to the bottom of the unwrapped ribs being hard/overcooked but still moist on the upper part. For some reason when I do ribs and don't wrap the underside is always tough compared to the rest of the meat. This is even if I do 225. Does anyone know who why that happens? I'm close to just giving up on trying them unwrapped due to perfect results with a wrap.

When did you wrap them? On my Kamado I wrap when the meat first starts to separate from the bones. From then they cook evenly. remain moist and no parts get burned.

Those were perfectly beautiful, right up until the point you sauced them...

Kidding, to each their own, and those look great! :mrgreen:

When did you wrap them? On my Kamado I wrap when the meat first starts to separate from the bones. From then they cook evenly. remain moist and no parts get burned.

Yeah if I wrap them they never get overcooked/tough on the bottom. I guess I could flip them halfway through but my goal was not to have to open the grill until they are done. But I never have been able to avoid the tough bottom side unless I wrap.

Those were perfectly beautiful, right up until the point you sauced them...

Kidding, to each their own, and those look great! :mrgreen:
No offense taken! I like to add a sauce to any dish. I love em.

Great looking ribs, I really like that plate your food is on.

Jack

Try flipping them when you go in to wrap the other ribs.

The whole point is not to ever open the cooker! I want to just throw em in and not wrap/flip until they are done. I've only ever had a uds/kamado tho so I don't know if this is normal. But I do turn out great ribs when I wrap so it's not a huge deal. Guess I'll have to wait til we move into our 2nd home into the future. Outdoor kitchen area + 3+ car garage is on the must have list for me.

Please Gary
Can You detail what you meant with "when meat starts to separate from the bone" ???

Please Gary
Can You detail what you meant with "when meat starts to separate from the bone" ???

When you start the cook the meat is most likely even with the bones along the length of the cut. As they grill the meat will just start to pull back exposing the tips of the bones. This is a good time to add more sauce and wrap. Also if you are using smoking wood they have absorbed about enough smoke at this point.

When you start the cook the meat is most likely even with the bones along the length of the cut. As they grill the meat will just start to pull back exposing the tips of the bones. This is a good time to add more sauce and wrap. Also if you are using smoking wood they have absorbed about enough smoke at this point.

Thanks Gary

Nice looking ribs!

Back