So, I bought a Camp Chef stove w/griddle instead of a Blackstone... BUT... THEN

Demosthenes9

is One Chatty Farker
this popped up on CL for $175.

20150731_182828_resized.jpg

Included was a new cover and 3/4 full propane tank.

Oh heck yea!!!.

Being CL, after telling the guy that I'd take it, I offered him $150. He said he'd like to get $160 out of it, I said "Done deal".

Got it home last night and was tempted to break it in, but waited until this morning instead.

IMG_20150802_134947.jpg

IMG_20150802_134958.jpg

IMG_20150802_135925.jpg

Now I can really test the BS and the CC out head to head and see what I think about each.

A quick question for those who picked their's up new. Does it come with the parts for mounting the propane tank ? Or is that an add on ? Guy I bought this from said this one didn't come with it ??

Woe, that is alot of food. Nice looking cook. Very interested in the upcoming head to head review. Thanks.

Yes. The Blackstone is shipped with two "hooks" that hold the tank in unison with the griddle. It allows the tank to move with the griddle when you roll it around. If you would like, I could scan the parts from the manual.

Nice score! Can't wait for the comparison posts.

As for the propane tank mounts, Blackstone didn't add them until 2013. Mine is a 2012 model and doesn't have a mount. Up until 2011 they actually came with heavy duty cast iron burners. They switched to stainless steel in 2012.

Ps

I actually ordered the mount for iirc $13 shipped but you have to attach it on somehow. There is a bar that the hooks are welded on on the 2013+ models so the hooks that I got I drilled them on the side with screws since they can't send you the bar as it is welded on.

On my model 2015 I guess, the upper and lower propane bottle are bolted on the support bar.

Attachments

• bs.jpg
    bs.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 240
Good find! I've got one like that on my trailer pit and really like it. It still needs more seasoning, even though I done a bunch of stuff on it. If I could only find a bunch of pig fat I'd be in business..

And here I was HAPPY that I scored my new one with the cover and two spatulas for about $285.00.:tsk::tsk:

And I have to get a propane tank!! That'll be another 60.

I tell ya....I am constantly jelly at the deals you guys get on CL. I NEVER find anything remotely worth buying when I look. Is there a trick to it? I pride myself at being able to find anything on the internet......except CL. Or is it that in my location there's nobody selling anything that I would EVER want?? LOL!

Great great find sir!:thumb:

I followed this guru and purchased a bottle of pure flaxseed oil from Whole Paycheck. Will follow up with cheap bacon and onions.
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Hmmm.....interesting. I re-seasoned my cast iron with flaxseed based on that same website a while ago (should post some pics) and worked like a charm. Never been so non-stick but really haven't cooked with them all that much. I have a Blackstone and never thought to try Flax on it. On the other had, I hardly use it anymore so might end up on CL as well.

If you did try it, how well did it work ?

Hmmm.....interesting. I re-seasoned my cast iron with flaxseed based on that same website a while ago (should post some pics) and worked like a charm. Never been so non-stick but really haven't cooked with them all that much. I have a Blackstone and never thought to try Flax on it. On the other had, I hardly use it anymore so might end up on CL as well.

If you did try it, how well did it work ?

Still in the process of seasoning it with flax. I have coated it twice so far, will do it a third time then shift to cheap bacon and onions.

That looks fantastic! What that a cook for 3 or 6 people? (or 2).

Thanks !! It started out as kind of a test run to see what the BS could handle. Texted some people and said that I was cooking up some brunch and to come on over if they wanted to. Ended up being brunch for 2 with lots of leftovers. Guess I should have given people more than a 30 minutes head's up.

On my model 2015 I guess, the upper and lower propane bottle are bolted on the support bar.

Thanks Yak.

And here I was HAPPY that I scored my new one with the cover and two spatulas for about $285.00.:tsk::tsk:

And I have to get a propane tank!! That'll be another 60.

I tell ya....I am constantly jelly at the deals you guys get on CL. I NEVER find anything remotely worth buying when I look. Is there a trick to it? I pride myself at being able to find anything on the internet......except CL. Or is it that in my location there's nobody selling anything that I would EVER want?? LOL!

Great great find sir!:thumb:

Thanks!! Some of it is luck of course as sellers set their asking price. With that said, doesn't hurt to have as many different CL Notifications as you can. I use a CL App for my phone, a Web Service, and CL's own notification system for a number of saved searches. I get multiple texts and emails every time an ad is posted that matches my search terms.

Even then, I randomly jump on SearchTempest and search the surrounding area (250 miles), not just my locality.

Nice Score......

Thanks !!! Will be interesting to see if I reach the same conclusions that you did, or the exact opposite. Might even see things much the same way but still do the opposite of what you did. Who knows.

Great deal and nice cook!

KC

Thanks KC!

Nice score! Can't wait for the comparison posts.

As for the propane tank mounts, Blackstone didn't add them until 2013. Mine is a 2012 model and doesn't have a mount. Up until 2011 they actually came with heavy duty cast iron burners. They switched to stainless steel in 2012.

Ps

I actually ordered the mount for iirc $13 shipped but you have to attach it on somehow. There is a bar that the hooks are welded on on the 2013+ models so the hooks that I got I drilled them on the side with screws since they can't send you the bar as it is welded on.

Thanks SSV. Not sure what year mine is. I have the SS burners, but it looks like I'm missing a cross bar that the newer models have. Once I date mine, I might give BS a call and see about getting the mount.

Then again, I might not even bother. Doesn't bother me a bit to have the tank sitting on the ground. :wink:

Back