2nd try Spareribs - 1st try WSM 22

...Dave

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hi everybody, going to try spareribs again, last time i tried i went solo but didnt do so great. this time ill go live and let you all see how im doing as the cook progresses.

going with --- 2 hrs in, 1 hour wrapped, 50 min in, 10 min w/sauce.

got the 22 up to 275 easy enough, and it appears all the careful tweeking of the door worked well, only seeeing smoke escaping from lid

loaded top rack w/4 spares i cut up kind of symmetrical removing extra fat, loose chunks and membrane. hate pulling that membrane, total pain, only got 1 to almost come off in 1 pull.

using my 1st diy sauce and rub on these too, lots of 1st on this cook, probably too many :becky:

4ctVCQLlTYTW9xwewJ728_s2SMDb6I22vwenI6N1tlc=w648-h486-no

_KoCgbtWOvsqdijTODcy00YhMPY2AURQq71Ww4_NUEE=w648-h486-no

2 hrs in, wrapped in apple juice with honey glaze.

the diy sauce sucks, has a taste like long john silvers malt vinegar, no worries tho, i got sweet baby rays for back up

jETr2tn3F24dORY_TwuIszzAhSa4_2vEZRvNAo2VbGg=w648-h486-no

this thing is too easy

has held virtually perfect for 3 hrs now, got it up to temp, set all vents to mere slits and have done nothing since.

ysgssjcXQ8JuhXU1fCtAx355gK2Ge0LZvpxjFK1LOcA=w648-h486-no

6SrujW-HiSZ9zFxHyVJAtdQd62Rxx7Q4eTyllzSjuOE=w648-h486-no

I love my 22. Was going to purchase a fancy pants high dollar unit, until I discovered Harry Soo.

I don't think you need a rib rack on the 22. I have been able to put 4 st louis cut full racks on mine with both shelves. I even added a third mount, just drilled and added bolts/nuts similar to the existing 2 rack mounts for more meat. Worked a treat.

They look damn tasty to me. They look slightly overcooked for my preference cause of how much receding has taken place and the bend is pretty severe for a short rack, but without a rib in my face I can't be for sure.

Back