Plugging WSM Air Vents Question

MustGoFast

Knows what a fatty is.
I have a 22" WSM and one of the lower vent covers got mangled so I removed it. I'm going to mount a fireboard on here so I'm just looking to block the other 3 holes.

I read online that a 3/4 metal plug was the right size, but that is apparently only true if you still have the vent cover in place (the 3/4 plug falls right through).

Does anyone know the correct size to effectively fill this hole? I don't have a caliper so measuring accurately is difficult but it appears to be 7/8 but I'm questioning if it's not 1" and I'm doing something wrong. Picture included to specifically see the hole in question.

Attachments

• 20220424_142834.jpg
    20220424_142834.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 148
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191063

This thread and maybe buy a replacement damper part?

Yeah saw that thread, issue is that w/ out the silver damper piece which is smaller than the holes in the kettle the 3/4 is not large enough. I may just give at a try w/ 7/8 as it's not an inch across.

PS - I didn't want another damper since I wasn't going to be using it anyway and it would get blocked by the fan mount.

I love the putty epoxy and use it for all kinds of things. That stuff would work perfectly and I think it costs about $7-8.

Home Depot does sell 7/8” metal knockout plugs.

Let us know how things work out since this may be useful for others.

Here is a mod I did years ago to a WSM, worked out pretty good. Credit goes
to PeterZ on the tvwbb.

Attachments

• WSM Vent.jpg
    WSM Vent.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 86
Home Depot does sell 7/8” metal knockout plugs.

Let us know how things work out since this may be useful for others.

Indeed they do and my suspicion was correct still to small wish I'd have had a caliper maybe 1" would h a ve been the magic but at this point F it I'm going with tape.

Should you decide to try the KO plugs again be aware a lot of them are galvanized steel. I don't know how hot that area of the WSM gets but be careful.

Back