Panning a brisket

I don't know...looks pretty good to me. Usually won't hold a slice when overdone. Those crunchy edge pieces tend to fall apart most of the time.

I've overcooked them worse than that. Looks like a good cook to me, lots of folks would find that perfect.

Still looks pretty great ninja, probably not over by very much.

I don't know...looks pretty good to me. Usually won't hold a slice when overdone. Those crunchy edge pieces tend to fall apart most of the time.

I've overcooked them worse than that. Looks like a good cook to me, lots of folks would find that perfect.

Thanks guys. Yes when say over im being over critical. I tend to judge things ive cook overly harsh. The bark came out awesome, not hard but almost tacky. The fat rendered well, even the band between the point an flat. Slices held but barely, if you held one up by the end it held until you giggled it and would give way.................. excuse me i need to go make a brisket sandwich now.

Last edited:
Nicely done! If I can find a brisket in that price range, I'll be tempted to do something similar. Mrs. Shadow has been asking for one for a while, but it's still too expensive... even in our temp location of ABQ, NM!

Thanks for taking a risk and for sharing the journey with us. Results look delicious... if not the "perfect" done-ness we read/talk about.

Well played my friend! Looks great!

As you know, there's no right or wrong way.....just YOUR way!

I did a MONSTER 20.5 lb'er last weekend that took nearly 18 hours at 225.
Thing was a beast. I cooked it the whole time with no foil or paper at all.
Finally put it in a pan and foiled it for the long rest, but it cooked unwrapped the whole time.
It ROCKED when it was finally on the board too.

Ain't nuttin wrong with mixing it up!

Looks good to me - I might have gone a little heavier on the S&P for bark, but hey - I'm no expert. Also, I don't know why people knock the oven in cases when you are going to wrap (the exception being butcher paper) in foil...what is wrong with saving wood and getting sleep? Next time just use a remote thermo with a wireless receiver so you can check it earlier and get probe tender without going over...GREAT cook, sir.

My take is on this: You bought the meat, you season it the way you and your family like, and cook it the way you like. Taste is subjective.

As for me, I'd stack that brisket high on my plate with a smile on my face. Looks perfect to me!

Wow..that looked awesome.

OK, I admit it. I'm a noob. Just started smokin, 4 attempts so far. I've done brisket once. All I could find was a couple to 2 lb pieces. I smoked on the rack and it was at :temp in 90 min. Wrapped in foil on the counter for another 90. Came out a little tough. So do you pan or not. If so, when?

Attachments

• brisket.jpg
    brisket.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
If that's overcooked in your book, then I will be "over cooking" them from now on. Brother, that looks fantastic!:p

Wow..that looked awesome.

OK, I admit it. I'm a noob. Just started smokin, 4 attempts so far. I've done brisket once. All I could find was a couple to 2 lb pieces. I smoked on the rack and it was at :temp in 90 min. Wrapped in foil on the counter for another 90. Came out a little tough. So do you pan or not. If so, when?

Thanks and welcome to the brethren.

First try and find a packer brisket. They are usually 10 lbs plus, thats alot of meat i know but it makes great leftovers or can be frozen for use later. Check various Walmart, gfs, restaurant depot, costco, ect.

Id guess you needed more time. Instead of temp cook until it probes with little to no resistance. I decide to wrap or pan based on color not temp. This one was 5 hrs, last one i did was on a different cooker and never wrapped. Then its all patience. Wait til its tender, that could be anywhere from the 190s to over 210.

Good luck

Back