Question on the Victorinox or Granton Edge knives....12" or 14"?

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Just like the title says. It'll be used for the occasional brisket, tri tip, roast and at times slicing full slabs of homemade bacon.

Will 12" be enough or would you recommend a 14"??

Thanks

Below are the choice and they all offer 12 or 14

Victorinox

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-12-Inch-Granton-Slicing-Fibrox/dp/B0000CFDB9/ref=pd_sbs_79_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0000CFDB9&pd_rd_r=N5AMF4B9SFEF51VXHHW4&pd_rd_w=X6dNC&pd_rd_wg=67c39&psc=1&refRID=N5AMF4B9SFEF51VXHHW4"]Amazon.com: Victorinox 12-Inch Granton Edge Slicing Knife with Fibrox Handle: Carving Knife: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Mercer

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culinary-Millennia-14-Inch-Granton-Edge/dp/B005P0OIBM/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1480547818&sr=1-1&keywords=mercer+granton+14"]Amazon.com: Mercer Culinary Millennia 14-Inch Granton-Edge Slicer Knife: Chefs Knives: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

ICEF

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/14-inch-Granton-Turkey-Slicing-Turkey/dp/B01BU7C4IC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1480463164&sr=8-10&keywords=granton+edge+slicing+knife"]Amazon.com: 14-inch Granton Edge Turkey, Salmon, Ham Slicer, Meat Slicing Knife. Best to Slice and cut Large Roast and Whole Turkey.: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I have the 14" Victorinox Granton Edge. I use it for any large slicing job and it performs flawlessly. It will shave a brisket or prime rib like a dream. I've had it for about 8 years and have never needed to sharpen it. Just a quick touch up with a steel. It is so sharp it will slice hot soft bread with zero crush. My opinion is that you cannot buy a better knife for any price.

I have a 12" Victorinox and a couple years ago I bought the 14" Wusthof, it sucked using it at first, way too long, but that knife is the only one I grab for now.

Sako I have the 12" Victorinox Granton edge. It's more than enough for brisket or roasts.

Brother ssv,
If you are looking for a brisket slicer, then give this one a look. It's only 20 bucks but it slices Brisket as good or better than anything out there. Trust me on this one my friend.

Attachments

• IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 291
Brother ssv,
If you are looking for a brisket slicer, then give this one a look. It's only 20 bucks but it slices Brisket as good or better than anything out there. Trust me on this one my friend.

Just got this one in the mail. Excited to use it

Sako, I know you like the finer things in life so this is the one you need:

http://www.wusthof.com/14-brisket-slicer-hollow-edge

The last one you'll ever have to buy!

Thanks Pat! To me honest I have a pretty nice knife set already with a slicer but I want the Granton edge and the thin blade for more precise cuts. For occasional use I don't really know if I want spend that much given the rave reviews on the Victorinox and the kind. But you've got me thinking now :rolleyes:.

Brother ssv,

Thanks brother SGH! I've considered Dexters also. I may also be using for charcuterie and don't know if the serrated blade would work well for hard cuts. Pretty sure it does a hell of job on briskets, roasts and such.

Cant really go wrong with any of them. Since you wont be doing any serious chopping or dicing they all will last a long time. Fluted is probably best for things like brisket, all comes down to how big a hunk of meat youll be slicing.

I have a Vic 12", a 10" would have been long enough for me.

I have the ten inch victorinox slicer with the granton edge and like it alot. I have run across a couple of briskets that I could have used the longer ones on. It does a great job and I have no regrets. Here's a pic of Brethren awscwi cutting some brisket at my wedding with it. Again it's the 10inch.

Attachments

• 20140531_184131.jpg
    20140531_184131.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 266
I have both the ten inch and twelve inch Victorinox slicer with the granton edge. Love them both. Excellent quality and easy to keep sharp. Also have other Victorinox knives that I prefer over the expensive Wusthof block set we have had for probably 20 years. After reading the Victorinox user reviews on Amazon I was sold.

I have the 12in victorinox. It was budget friendly when I bought it. If the mercer slicer would of been that price when I got my victorinox, i would of went with the mercer instead because it holds an edge just as well as the victorinox and it is cheaper.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. While there are some nice bbq knife sets from both Wusthof and Victorinox, as tempting as it was I couldn't justify buying another set when I have a nice set already. I just need a granton edge slicer so I rolled with the below.

Wusthof PRO 11" for $40 shipped. Not the high end Wusthof slicer but it's in the Victorinox range. Had some credit so It cost me a grand total of $18. Not bad. :becky:

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Hollow-Ground-Slicer-11-Inch/dp/B008GRUIJM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480623654&sr=8-2&keywords=wusthof+11+pro"]Amazon.com: Wusthof Pro Hollow Ground Roast Beef Slicer, 11-Inch: Carving Knives: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Sako's avatar is in the season! Lol!

Yes!! :biggrin1: My favorite time of year so naturally the Viking has to reflect accordingly.

Last edited:
Back