Diffuser for a WSM 22"

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I got all excited when I found a 20" cast iron deep dish skillet. I had used a 16" with much success and thought it would be much nicer with 20 inches for complete coverage and catch all for the drippings.

Found out the handles extend all the way to 22". It sits right on the lip of the WSM. Should I just cut the handles or keep it and add something like the Cajun Bandit extender for it to sit on?

0ca782210856112e4b8d724c8c0595fd.jpg

Great idea! I am using a clay planter saucer that fits perfectly in the water bowl.

I'd hack those handles right off. You'll never use it for anything else ever again anyway.

For ease of getting it in & out, if the sides don't allow you to get your fingers down in there, you could drill a couple of holes and put some bolts in it to act as handles. Put two vertical bolts directly across from each other & have something to grab hold to.

I got all excited when I found a 20" cast iron deep dish skillet. I had used a 16" with much success and thought it would be much nicer with 20 inches for complete coverage and catch all for the drippings.

Found out the handles extend all the way to 22". It sits right on the lip of the WSM. Should I just cut the handles or keep it and add something like the Cajun Bandit extender for it to sit on?

0ca782210856112e4b8d724c8c0595fd.jpg

Talk about a perfect fit........spot on !!!!!!!

Where'd you score that cast iron goodness ?

I've got a heap of questions about the 22.5 WSM......and you mentioned the Cajun Bandit extender, too.

Factory 22.5 WSM will handle 8 butts, right ?

Add the Cajun Bandit extender and add 4 more butts.

Can the standard legs on the 22.5 WSM handle the weight of 12 butts, extended water pan and coals ????

I hope so, because I'm most likely gonna pull the trigger on one tomorrow.

On the right is a ten pound butt. Not sure if you can do 4 on one grate without them touching... but shrinkage may help. Or go smaller.

00d2da95ac8834c0499f6fa9bbd944a8.jpg

Where'd you score that cast iron goodness ?

I've got a heap of questions about the 22.5 WSM......and you mentioned the Cajun Bandit extender, too.

Factory 22.5 WSM will handle 8 butts, right ?

Add the Cajun Bandit extender and add 4 more butts.

Can the standard legs on the 22.5 WSM handle the weight of 12 butts, extended water pan and coals ????

I hope so, because I'm most likely gonna pull the trigger on one tomorrow.

The skillet is a Bayou Classic 20" that I Found on Amazon.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-7438-20-Inch-Cast-Iron/dp/B00062WTS8[/ame]

I cut off the handles so it would fit. Even with the Cajun Bandit the chamber won't be able to sit correctly without touching the handles. It is a great stabilizer with the added bonus of smoke from the drippings on a hot surface. Much better than a water pan. You will have to add a third layer right above your fire so measure carefully.

I have no problems with the legs, even with the double chamber and additional meats. It's pretty stout.

What would be the advantage of this vs. stock water pan (running empty)?

Diffuser for a WSM 22"

What would be the advantage of this vs. stock water pan (running empty)?

The cast iron can diffuse (absorb?) more of the heat than just the water pan. Imagine putting your hand next to a firebox made with the thickness of cast iron versus the water pan.

Keep in mind I am using a Hunsaker Vortex charcoal box so my temp can sky rocket if I want it to. I want to do low and slow without choking my fire. So temps below the cast iron pan is around 275-300 with vents open. Above it is 240-255.

You may get the same absorption effect with sand in the pan but then you'll have another mess to deal with and no smoke from the drippy fat.

Also when I need to mess with the fire, I can lift the chamber up and have the cast iron still keeping things toasty while I do coal maintenance (only happened once so far).

Last edited:
Would any one know if this would work/fit in a WSM 22" as a diffuser?

Thanks DanB

Diameter of that diffuser is 19" so it will fit. My cast iron is 20" and the grates are 21.5". The chamber is 22" and the lip is 22.5". It will probably work no better than a thin pizza pan (the perforated kind).

Diameter of that diffuser is 19" so it will fit. My cast iron is 20" and the grates are 21.5". The chamber is 22" and the lip is 22.5". It will probably work no better than a thin pizza pan (the perforated kind).

Doesn't sound right if the diffuser is only 19"? and the grates are 21.5"
In the water pan I've been using lava rocks covere in foil
Thanks DanB

Last edited:
Doesn't sound right if the diffuser is only 19"? and the grates are 21.5"
In the water pan I've been using lava rocks covere in foil
Thanks DanB

You're never going to find anything in the stores that will work as a true diffuser. The grates have handles so unless you flip it over, you will have an outer rim for the smoke to come up. Which is fine with me...

You can also bush league it and put foil along the edge. :hand:

I don't like drippings burning on a hot plate (stinks to me ) and has caused grease fires with 4 butts or a bunch of chicken dripping - so I prefer a waterpan.......drippings into charcoal basket is OK but can cause flare ups.

You're never going to find anything in the stores that will work as a true diffuser. The grates have handles so unless you flip it over, you will have an outer rim for the smoke to come up. Which is fine with me...
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-smokey-22-replacement-bottom-grate#repChildCatid=638906

So where would this diffuser sit?
Thanks DanB

You would have to add brackets or bolts to hold it, or on factory water pan brackets.

The cast iron can diffuse (absorb?) more of the heat than just the water pan. Imagine putting your hand next to a firebox made with the thickness of cast iron versus the water pan.

Keep in mind I am using a Hunsaker Vortex charcoal box so my temp can sky rocket if I want it to. I want to do low and slow without choking my fire. So temps below the cast iron pan is around 275-300 with vents open. Above it is 240-255.

You may get the same absorption effect with sand in the pan but then you'll have another mess to deal with and no smoke from the drippy fat.

Also when I need to mess with the fire, I can lift the chamber up and have the cast iron still keeping things toasty while I do coal maintenance (only happened once so far).

Wouldn't the cast iron eventually get saturated with heat and start radiating heat upwards?

Seems to me that you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Cover the water pan with foil, add sand if you really thing a heat sink is needed and cover it with foil. The WSM is a wonderful cooker without all of this..

$0.02

I don't like drippings burning on a hot plate (stinks to me ) and has caused grease fires with 4 butts or a bunch of chicken dripping - so I prefer a waterpan.......drippings into charcoal basket is OK but can cause flare ups.

A cast iron pan should be no different than the water pan, except for it being thicker.

Back