Ordered Lone Star Grillz Vertical Offset Today

GLF5

Got Wood.
Reaction score
As the title says, I just pulled the trigger on a Lone Star Grillz vertical offset. I've been working with a BGE for the last 7 years or so and I'm looking forward to my first stick burner.

While I really like the egg, I find that it's more of a direct cook even with the platesetter and I haven't been able to turn out a good brisket yet using it.

The backlog at Lone Star is significant so I have plenty of time to make sure I get exactly what I want. For anyone who has cooked on both types, is there much of a difference in the pipe horizontal offset vs the vertical offset?

Thanks

It's a legit cooker. You will like. Congrats!

Welcome to the club! You won't be disappointed. I got tired of fighting for space on the kamado or using multiple cookers for larger cooks plus had an itch to burn sticks so I ordered the LSG vertical offset and I love it.

Everyone that has one really seems to like it. I know Old Bill likes his a lot, and THoey1963 should be receiving his this week.

I'm an LSG customer, they make awesome cookers. Congrats on your purchase, you will love it.

How long time do you have to wait until delivery? I am about to deside on a smoker, but my shipping container leave Wisconsin on July 27.. Any chance? Guess my choices are limited..

How long time do you have to wait until delivery? I am about to deside on a smoker, but my shipping container leave Wisconsin on July 27.. Any chance? Guess my choices are limited..

You are probably limited to dealers who have cookers in stock. All of the custom builders are months out.

As the title says, I just pulled the trigger on a Lone Star Grillz vertical offset. I've been working with a BGE for the last 7 years or so and I'm looking forward to my first stick burner.

While I really like the egg, I find that it's more of a direct cook even with the platesetter and I haven't been able to turn out a good brisket yet using it.

The backlog at Lone Star is significant so I have plenty of time to make sure I get exactly what I want. For anyone who has cooked on both types, is there much of a difference in the pipe horizontal offset vs the vertical offset?

Thanks

Looks like a good choice! Good luck with the new smoker.. Why did you choose the Lone Star?

You made an excellent choice, welcome to the LSG familia!:thumb: As for the difference between the horizontal and the vertical, there's pros and cons to both. The vertical will give you a LOT more total cooking area with less of a footprint while the horizontal will give you a cooking area that will accommodate a really large cut of meat such as a whole pig or goat.
I went with the 30"x 24" vertical for the cooking capacity (cooks more food at one time than most trailer pits) and for the design itself which drafts better than a horizontal giving better fuel economy and heat distribution. I've never had to do it but with 6 - 29" x 23" slide outs I could get as much as 18 medium to large briskets in my vertical chamber or a ton of chicken, sausage and pork butt, I can't do a whole hog or anything on my pit though and so again it's really just a matter of what you plan on cooking.
The vertical is also more cost effective to build. I have the 30"x 24" cabinet, the 24"x 24" warmer oven (which is also a small vertical smoker as well) a 1/2" steel firebox, gas assist, and several other upgrades for about $3000. My pit will hold more food and costs about $1600 less than this!:wink:...
http://www.lonestargrillz.com/24-X-84-Lone-Star-Grillz-Trailer-Pit.html

So in summary,... if you want to get the very best bang for the buck go with the vertical and if you want to cook larger cuts or whole animals then go with the horizontal.:-D

About 16 weeks, give or take a few

Looks like a good choice! Good luck with the new smoker.. Why did you choose the Lone Star?

Thanks. I really like the way they design their cookers. It looks to me like they build them the way they are supposed to be built. For example they place the stack and temp gauge at grate level. I spoke with Chris a few times and he was so nice to talk with it made my decision easy. Of course the 3600 mile round trip to pick it up hurts a little.

You made an excellent choice, welcome to the LSG familia!:thumb: As for the difference between the horizontal and the vertical, there's pros and cons to both. The vertical will give you a LOT more total cooking area with less of a footprint while the horizontal will give you a cooking area that will accommodate a really large cut of meat such as a whole pig or goat.
I went with the 30"x 24" vertical for the cooking capacity (cooks more food at one time than most trailer pits) and for the design itself which drafts better than a horizontal giving better fuel economy and heat distribution. I've never had to do it but with 6 - 29" x 23" slide outs I could get as much as 18 medium to large briskets in my vertical chamber or a ton of chicken, sausage and pork butt, I can't do a whole hog or anything on my pit though and so again it's really just a matter of what you plan on cooking.
The vertical is also more cost effective to build. I have the 30"x 24" cabinet, the 24"x 24" warmer oven (which is also a small vertical smoker as well) a 1/2" steel firebox, gas assist, and several other upgrades for about $3000. My pit will hold more food and costs about $1600 less than this!:wink:...
http://www.lonestargrillz.com/24-X-84-Lone-Star-Grillz-Trailer-Pit.html

So in summary,... if you want to get the very best bang for the buck go with the vertical and if you want to cook larger cuts or whole animals then go with the horizontal.:-D

Thats great info. Thank you!

Congrats! You picked a great cooker, and awesome people to deal with.

I ordered my LSG Vertical Offset on March 2nd, was told at the time 12 to 14 weeks, and it is in the build phase now. It might be ready next week, but I am thinking more like the Monday the 6th. That would put it in the 17th week, and close to the 18th.

I am upgrading from a WSM and gasser because I want more space for larger smokes. If I was going to spend that much money, I might as well buy my "last" smoker. Unless I go crazy and decide to start a restaurant or cater, I will never need more space. I went with the 1/2" firebox to help in making sure this thing out lives me.

I figure this one box will provide me more room and with the grill option, will replace my other two pits.

Oh, and Sako has done a small pig in his, so that is doable too...

^^

Like Terry mentioned I did a whole pig in mine. The one in the pic is a 38lb-er and you can easily put two in there if need be. Assuming it's the 24x30 pit.

20141231_153631.jpg

S36We0J-L8uBj5akyGNNxw1IPKg6uPYCx-cFzY8yyec=w1358-h764-no

Does a hell of a job BTW :nod:

20141231_220910.jpg

Sako, I have to ask. How do you serve whole pig? Just lay it out, peel the skin and say dig in?

Back