Why does everyone care about the stall ?

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Why does everyone care about the stall ?I always see threads asking about the stall I have no idea what temperature the meats I cook stall at or even if they do - I don't monitor the IT. :confused:

For me, it's not that I care, but the heat from "she who must be obeyed" regarding when we are going to eat encourages me to watch the stall. Today, in fact, I am getting ready to foil the pork butt to push through the stall as an experiment. I have never foiled before, except for ribs.

I think the stall really comes in to play when folks are cutting their timing as close as possible. Especially since there are many who are still believers in temperatures in the 225°F to 250°F range, where the stall is a significant timing factor.

That's the thing. So many cooks are clinging to IT and use of the thermometer to monitor it like some security blanket. I feel that when i stopped temping bbq it lead my to be a better cooker and i got better faster than using a blanky.

I do like to track pit temps roughly if only to keep things on track (i learned along time ago it aint no good if it aint done on time) but see no gain in watching the internal temperature for 8 hrs

That's the thing. So many cooks are clinging to IT and use of the thermometer to monitor it like some security blanket. I feel that when i stopped temping bbq it lead my to be a better cooker and i got better faster than using a blanky.

I do like to track cook temps roughly if only to keep things on track (i learned along time ago it aint no good if it aint done on time) but see no gain in watching the internal temperature for 8 hrs

Since they just dropped $80 bucks on a crappy remote probe and don't have any paint to watch drying at the time😜

I could care less about the stall. I know it happens, I know it takes a while to get through it, I know the temp starts to rise much quicker once the stall is over.

I have been cooking for 25 years and I still keep learning as today I did the Blu Hot-n-fast method for the first time. When I first started cooking we only had the pit gauge and never even thought about internal temperatures. Now I use the butter method but still like to know what the internal temp is because it gives me a good idea when I might be getting close to being done. As far as the stall goes since I never used to wrap my briskets I would bump the temp up by 25-50 degrees to push through the stall and then I would reduce my temp back to 250. Either way just fiddling around and being able to watch temps keeps me interested but in the end it really doesn't matter.

Don't care anymore. For comps, just get them on early enough to hold when you need to, and for kiddos, day before cooked pulled pork is awesome.

I don't, I'm more worried about cooker temps. I do monitor IT on Butt's and Brisket just to give me an idea when I should start checking to see when they are tender enough to pull.

When they're done they're done.

i like electronics so i have them on while cooking but mostly for cooker temp. i also like the alarm just in case something gets out of hand and I am not looking for a few minutes. i cooked for years and years without and i go back and forth. i think for new guys it helps them not open the cooker every hour. i don't see the problem as long as you don't rely on them solely. at some point they will fail and you have to know how to cook without them. i know some of you think it's for sissy boys or something but it serves a purpose just like an ATC. just another tool but they are not for everyone.

For me it is just an indication of what the meat is doing. I don't worry about it or try to control it unless I have to hurry it up. I also think it can give a little info on what to expect.
I guess I am still in the stages of learning how to feel the cook because although I do not cook by internal temp, I still monitor it sometimes.
Most cuts that I have had a short stall period seamed to be a little leaner and less moist, but that may just be me imagining things.

Data geek

I just love data. Period.

It doesn't really make anything "automatically" done just 'cuz a particular IT is reached, but I like knowing.

Plus, on long cooks, it's very convenient using my ATC to know pit is a specific temp. I *thought* I knew before, but really didn't. And I used to open the lid a lot to check on chit but now -- with data -- I know the crazy temperature roller coaster created each time I open the lid.

But I'll clink a beer bottle with brethren on either side of the fence! :peace:

Back