Why does everyone care about the stall ?

Every time I see a thread started like this all I can think of is this meme :becky:

Some folks like to monitor things and aren't in the vocal "too cool to monitor club" :p
Are you saying there is still peer pressure at our age? Either way I agree with the majority.

It seems that everyone doesn't care but nothing wrong with a new guy trying to understand what's happening while he learning to cook and if you want to puff your chest out and say I cook caveman style, that's okay also!

I monitor the temps. Only on pork butts or picnic roasts. Brisket probe tender. Ribs when the color is right. Chicken when I am hungry I eat.

I will sometimes monitor the pitt temp and sometimes use a probe for the IT - but that is just to see what temp it is at, not to tell me when it is done or to check the "stall"

Actually, I use the "Ron Popeil" method - you know, when he was selling those counter top ovens he would say to "set it and forget it" ......

That is how I use the smoker. I know generally that something is going to take 6 or 8 or 12 hours, so, I put it in and "forget it".

I will check the pitt/smoker temp to see if I need to add any more fuel, but I don't open the lid until I think it is close to being done.

Never give a thought to a "stall", just don't get in a hurry when I am Q-ing

I'll monitor pit temps. Even those who monitor meat temps why do you need to know when it stalls? Do you you do something different? Wrap? Bump temp up? Cry? :confused:

i like electronics so i have them on while cooking but mostly for cooker temp. i also like the alarm just in case QUOTE]

.....and he's a Texan! :tape::shocked:

I didn't use a therm to monitor my cook tonight so maybe I should move to Texas and Pj to Indiana! :laugh:

I normally only use my temp gauges If I'm hosting a cookout, and i have visitors eating my cooking. But only use it as a guideline to if the meat is close to done. If i'm cooking for myself and my family I'm pretty good at judging when to pull food off the smoker/grills.

I have never really noticed "stalls" when cooking. But I have heard of people waiting til the stall to wrap, one reason was to get through the stall, and I've also heard of people turning up temp during the stall. (just random information I've picked up while researching smoking through the past few months)

i like electronics so i have them on while cooking but mostly for cooker temp. i also like the alarm just in case QUOTE]

.....and he's a Texan! :tape::shocked:

I didn't use a therm to monitor my cook tonight so maybe I should move to Texas and Pj to Indiana! :laugh:

I wouldn't mind visiting but I am never leaving.:hand: why are you trying to peer pressure me???

I'll monitor pit temps. Even those who monitor meat temps why do you need to know when it stalls? Do you you do something different? Wrap? Bump temp up? Cry? :confused:

I look at chamber temps. I also have a temp probe in butt or brisket- sue me.

The meat probe is more of a "how am I doing" rather than than the borderline OCD data logging that some seem to enjoy indulging in. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

What do I do if I hit the "dreaded" stall?
wrap? sometimes- sometime not.
bump temp up? usually not - (running at 290 to 325 already)
Cry? There's no crying in BBQ :wink:

I like to use my thermometer to give me a ballpark. As I get more confident, I look at the meat more and the thermometer less.

Back