THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jdefran

Full Fledged Farker
I've had it twice at a local BBQ chain, 4Rivers. The first time it was good and an enjoyable new texture. The second time (3 months later) it was overdone by a long shot..probably medium well.

At work this morning I got an email from grocer Earthfare and said it had tri tip on sale..immediately I had the itch to try cooking it myself. Unfortunately that store was out of it but that did not deter my plan. Thankfully Publix had some and I was set for my dinner plans.

Well I got outta work later than expected and still had errands to run; long story short I felt ill prepared for the cook.

My concerns were at ease once my mouth experienced this:

I did a reverse sear, with an indirect temp of 350-400..too much fuel, but no matter. The baby Yukon taters were roasted in a cast iron skillet, veggies in a Weber grill basket. Not pictured is the cod I grilled for my wife. I love the capacity of the 26er 8)

Very nice. I like mine a little rarer than that but it looks delicious. Tri-tip is so under appreciated (and harder to find) here in the midwest. I like it just as much as steak. Which I guess it is sirloin.

That turned out very nicely! I cook two to six of them at least one a month here. We get together with friends for BBQ's on a regular basis. Tri Tip is the mainstay... It is spectacular on a Santa Maria style grill, and also cooked low and slow, with a sear at the end to char it up. Luckily, lately we have been having some great pricing here. $2.98/lb! Nuts. we have been taking full advantage of that. I was surprised to talk to some of my friends outside the southwest, and find that Tri Tip is hard to find. Weird how that works. Their local butchers tell them that it is an awful cut of meat. I would disagree whole heartedly...:thumb:

Tri tip with a spicy pico de gallo and crusty bread.... always a hit with the friends and family.

Good looking cook. I feel inspired to grill some myself; and, I am lucky that my local Costco is never short on tri tip.

Great job on cutting it properly.

Great job on cutting it properly.

Great point! That is one of the biggest mistakes people make when cooking these. The grain changes at the angle point. I usually cut there first, and then slice against the grain on both pieces. Makes for a much more tender eat...

I have to say I am very shocked at a few comments about hard to find, perhaps its geography but we have tri tip everywhere here in CA.

I have to say I am very shocked at a few comments about hard to find, perhaps its geography but we have tri tip everywhere here in CA.

You are fortunate. It is very hit and miss in my neck of the woods. I guess that makes it that much more special when I do find it.

Here's a tri-tip I smoked on my Lang 108...one of the best I've ever done :thumb:

Attachments

• 12783778_1517239948581454_4039042251853120036_o.jpg
    12783778_1517239948581454_4039042251853120036_o.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 12829187_1522141558091293_6841198209105776543_o.jpg
    12829187_1522141558091293_6841198209105776543_o.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 113
Nice looking Tri-Tip...

For those that are new to TT, they usually have three grains to them like the white lines in the attached image. As long as you cut across those, it will be nice and tender...

Attachments

• SliceTriTip.jpg
    SliceTriTip.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 25
Back