Need some advice on splitting sides

E & D's BBQ

Reaction score
Next week I'm catering a wedding reception for 230 people. I'm serving Brisket, pork loin, pasta salad and baked beans. Another person is bringing cheesy potatoes and fruit. The "problem" is they want me to make the meat and pasta salad for the full 230 and beans for 115. The guy bringing potatoes was told to make enough for 115.

My gut tells me this has problems written all over it. I haven't dealt with this before. I know it's not ideal to have someone else adding food to my catering, but I'm somewhat friends with everyone involved and I'm letting it slide this time. Should I worry about the beans or potatoes running out, or should I just let the chips fall where they fall? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
I'm not a caterer, but as a consumer paying for the food I would want to be able to make the decisions regarding my event. But I would also want an experienced caterer to give me his/her best recommendation.

You might raise this potential problem with whomever is giving you the instructions and paying your bill, and then if they still want to proceed despite your recommendation, they're the ones making the decision.

Next week I'm catering a wedding reception for 230 people. I'm serving Brisket, pork loin, pasta salad and baked beans. Another person is bringing cheesy potatoes and fruit. The "problem" is they want me to make the meat and pasta salad for the full 230 and beans for 115. The guy bringing potatoes was told to make enough for 115.

My gut tells me this has problems written all over it. I haven't dealt with this before. I know it's not ideal to have someone else adding food to my catering, but I'm somewhat friends with everyone involved and I'm letting it slide this time. Should I worry about the beans or potatoes running out, or should I just let the chips fall where they fall? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

I would make 115 servings of beans and if/when they run out it is there problem.

I would not let anyone else bring food. You will be held responsible if something goes wrong. Even though you are friends with the people paying. Things can still go wrong and you will the one that will get the blame, whether it is your fault or not.

I suspect you know that Bryan is right, and I understand how that can be a problem.

Here is how I would go, I would inform that Couple, or Wedding planner, that you intend to bring the amount of food you believe, as a professional, is appropriate for the gathering. And that while you are concerned about the lack of potatoes, you will be bringing enough beans to assure that your part of the food service is properly done. My bet (based on the fact that it has happened often), is that given the chance to get either potatoes or beans in a buffet, most guests will choose both.

I suspect you know that Bryan is right, and I understand how that can be a problem.

Here is how I would go, I would inform that Couple, or Wedding planner, that you intend to bring the amount of food you believe, as a professional, is appropriate for the gathering. And that while you are concerned about the lack of potatoes, you will be bringing enough beans to assure that your part of the food service is properly done. My bet (based on the fact that it has happened often), is that given the chance to get either potatoes or beans in a buffet, most guests will choose both.

I do agree with Bryan and I should have corrected that from day one. I won't make that mistake again.

I also agree with bringing the right amount of beans to ensure that it's done properly. I'm assuming that I should charge them for those beans?

I would make 115 servings of beans and if/when they run out it is there problem.

At first I wanted to do this, especially after I told the couple that they might run out of beans or potatoes and they told me "that's ok".

By serving it along side your stuff you are taking responsibility. Create a distinct divide between your food and the relatives food. If you can "pay homage" to the creator with a "created by xxx" table marker you can further separate yourself. The issue is you possibly lose word of mouth due to someone getting sick on the cheesy potatoes. Not sure how you are serving but if there is a server they can stress the origins with a smile. Then serve it heavy and get it off the table on the first people up since they will be closest in relation to the person who made it :) You should make beans for the full number and just add it to the bill. Don't even mention it. They won't be in the back kitchen accounting for excess beans :)

Well, now do you charge them or not, that is a good question. They are friends? No. If they are customers, you talk with them about it, explain your position and if they insist on shorting on beans, prepare enough, keep the extra back and serve if needed. Eat the cost if you must. I don't know the cost of your beans, but, measure it against the cost of your reputation, it's not about pride, but, about business. Be realistic. If it was me, I would charge only for what I contracted for if they are my friends.

As for the potatoes, man, I did a job once, for friends, and the issue was something called Johnson's Potatoes, some kind of shredded potatoes au gratin. I was told that it was simply necessary for any family gathering. The owner of the recipe showed up with a 9 x 13 pan for 40 people, the first three people wiped out half the pan. Never again.

BTW, apparently, Johnson's Potatoes are pre-shredded hash browns, mushroom soup, cream cheese, cheddar cheese (Kraft, has to be Kraft) and Durkee's Onions (Has to be Durkee's)...HORRORS!

I have had this happen before, and I am ok with them bringing "other foods" like a cheese tray, or veggie tray, or chips, but I want control over the obvious BBQ and hot stuff. Otherwise like someone said, I create a divide and I don't offer to serve their products without adding a charge to my serving fee.

AS for the quantity. if you are serving 230 people..... 230 people will not be taking beans. I'd say closer to 175. BUT I get my quantity pretty dang close to the order and let the bride and groom have the leftovers.

On any catering job there are 3 parties involved: the caterer, the purchaser, and the food consumers. It is the caterers job to make sure that all 3 of these parties involved are happy. There is no possible way to predict which side dish will be consumed in what percentage. Any product that I serve, has enough of that product for each person present to get a serving of that product. When ANY side dish runs out--the unhappy people that did not get a serving of that dish will not know what the purchaser ordered---they just blame the caterer. SIDE DISHES ARE YOUR FRIEND--use them like a friend. Ample side dishes insure that meat serving size is maintained. Talk to the purchaser about perceived problems before they become real problems. The last thing that any caterer needs is a reputation for running out of food.

An example of the above, at our troop feed last year, we decided to offer hot dogs for the kids, as it was the unit Christmas party and there were going to be families. We calculated, based on unit information, that there would be around 65 kids, so we got enough hotdogs for 80 people. We were expecting 300, mostly adults, and we figured that with tri-tip, mac-n-cheese, pulled pork and grilled chicken, no adults would take a hot dog. WRONG! In the end, 4 kids didn't get hot dogs and were dejected. This meant that not just 4 kids but, 6 adults were also let down. As it turned out, given a choice, many adults took a hot dog too. That didn't include the kids that never knew there were hot dogs. Not a good thing.

Can I ask what happens if the potatoes make someone sick? I'd be more worried about that than anything else. I'm thinking I know who'd get the blame for it. :sad:

Can I ask what happens if the potatoes make someone sick? I'd be more worried about that than anything else. I'm thinking I know who'd get the blame for it. :sad:
The standard answer we all give is that if you allow third party food at an event you are working, you risk being responsible for the person getting sick, even if you did not cook the food. At least in the court of public opinion, Aunt Suzie's Famous Potatoes are never going to get blamed if there is a caterer to blame.

Hence, most professional caterers have an absolute restriction on outside food.

Back