I'll be doing an 8lb pork butt and a 13lb brisket tomorrow for a graduation party. My last butt took exactly 1 hour per lb to reach 200 degrees. Noah recommends 6 hours for a 16 lb brisket, which seems short to me, but I'm a total newb and haven't done many briskets. Do you guys think I should just put them on at the same time?

Long time lurker here. Just wanted to come and share my excitement with you guys that I finally took the plunge and made the order. PBC is on it's way!!

I'll be doing an 8lb pork butt and a 13lb brisket tomorrow for a graduation party. My last butt took exactly 1 hour per lb to reach 200 degrees. Noah recommends 6 hours for a 16 lb brisket, which seems short to me, but I'm a total newb and haven't done many briskets. Do you guys think I should just put them on at the same time?

I did a 16 lb brisket over the weekend at it took about 8 hours. I would start both pieces of meat early (fine to start them at the same time) and give yourself plenty of time. Both the butt and the brisket can sit wrapped in foil and towels in a cooler for 4 hours or more. Better to be done early and let them sit in the cooler than have your guest waiting for dinner. Best of luck!

Long time lurker here. Just wanted to come and share my excitement with you guys that I finally took the plunge and made the order. PBC is on it's way!!

Congrats and welcome to the club. Looking forward to seeing your first cook and getting to know you!

UK guy in awe

Hi guys just joined,and through search found a whole lot of PBC love:grin:
Had my PBC a week now and had a couple of cooks on it, this weekend is the biggie tho, am doing a full brisket, pork shoulder and 2 racks of ribs on sunday for around 12 folk for my wife's birthday:wacko: No pressure then......
my 1st cooks were using lumpwood charcoal as i had to order the kingford? from the US, but they have arrived so am hoping the Kingford stuff will give a more even heat over a longer period. Is there any tips you guys can give a newb to smoking that will help me out, should i cook all at same time and just pull, wrap and put in dry cooler or stagger so they all finish roughly the same time then allow to rest?
cheers guys for any help

U.K. Smoker, welcome to the PBC family! not quite an even trade for EU membership, but the Q is better.

Id start the brisket early - you're probably looking at a good 7 or 8 hours on that. When I do ribs, I'm looking at about 4 hours, so you can add those later. If the brisket gets to the wrapping stage and you still have stuff hanging in the PBC, just wrap the brisket and put it in the oven at 275F. How big's the shoulder?

Hi, thanks for the welcome, think its about a 7lb shoulder, have the party set for around 6pm, so thinking of starting cooking around 7am and as it all becomes ready, just put it in the dry cooler, that sound right?

Kingsford will def give you better even heat longer no question. if you are hanging a bunch of stuff with different times hang it all at the same time. and pull it off as the stuff gets done. ive done chicken and rubs multiple times. if im doing spares the chicken comes off in 2 hours and the spares come off in 4. unless they are baby backs then they are done usually 2.5 to 3 hours. usually 2.5.

Had my PBC a week now and had a couple of cooks on it, this weekend is the biggie tho, am doing a full brisket, pork shoulder and 2 racks of ribs on sunday for around 12 folk for my wife's birthday:wacko: No pressure then......
my 1st cooks were using lumpwood charcoal as i had to order the kingford? from the US, but they have arrived so am hoping the Kingford stuff will give a more even heat over a longer period. Is there any tips you guys can give a newb to smoking that will help me out, should i cook all at same time and just pull, wrap and put in dry cooler or stagger so they all finish roughly the same time then allow to rest?
cheers guys for any help

Hi, thanks for the welcome, think its about a 7lb shoulder, have the party set for around 6pm, so thinking of starting cooking around 7am and as it all becomes ready, just put it in the dry cooler, that sound right?

If it were me, I'd start the brisket and the shoulder at the same time (7 am would be plenty early to be ready at 6pm). I wouldn't start the ribs until closer to noon, with the only caveat being if you wanted to rap the brisket and shoulder and put them back on the grate (as opposed to in the oven), you should do the ribs early too.

got some st louis seasoned ribs from costco. how long should these take on the pbc? first try at ribs. not foiling but will sauce a couple times near the end.

got some st louis seasoned ribs from costco. how long should these take on the pbc? first try at ribs. not foiling but will sauce a couple times near the end.

Lasts ribs I did on PBC took about 3.5 hrs. I am a temp watcher and was cooking at about 275°.

Lasts ribs I did on PBC took about 3.5 hrs. I am a temp watcher and was cooking at about 275°.

turned out great. took 4 and a half hours though because once i put the meat in the cooker temp dropped to 225. it was 285 before i put meat in. i recommend trader joes kentucky bourbon bbq sauce, it rocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started off the afternoon with this bird for lunch
4a4ee72d-68ec-46e6-ac86-bb40d96fd10a_zpsupp53aal.jpg

Then we got to try out this Sucklebusters rub
20160626_193314_zpsusamg4gn.jpg

Came out pretty good. Got some nice peel back on them bones
a27956b6-2491-47f2-a1cc-bf6d74ad3398_zpscqhlhzn3.jpg

They were on the sweet side, so definitely kid-approved.

Started off the afternoon with this bird for lunch
4a4ee72d-68ec-46e6-ac86-bb40d96fd10a_zpsupp53aal.jpg

Then we got to try out this Sucklebusters rub
20160626_193314_zpsusamg4gn.jpg

Came out pretty good. Got some nice peel back on them bones
a27956b6-2491-47f2-a1cc-bf6d74ad3398_zpscqhlhzn3.jpg

They were on the sweet side, so definitely kid-approved.

Very nice cook. Congrats,

cheers guys for any help

Welcome UKsmoker.

I did a 16 lb brisket over the weekend at it took about 8 hours. I would start both pieces of meat early (fine to start them at the same time) and give yourself plenty of time. Both the butt and the brisket can sit wrapped in foil and towels in a cooler for 4 hours or more. Better to be done early and let them sit in the cooler than have your guest waiting for dinner. Best of luck!

Bob,did you have to add more coals and if so, how? fire them up in a chimney or just add to the lit basket?

My first real cook

Brisket
Pork shoulder
Chicken
Ribs
Mac n Cheese
pit beans

The food went down really well, everyone enjoyed it, I need to find a good supplier of ribs, those just aren't meaty enough. Started the cook at 7am and got finished at 4pm.

Bob,did you have to add more coals and if so, how? fire them up in a chimney or just add to the lit basket?

I've never had to add charcoal during a cook. PBC will put out sufficient heat for 10 hours or more.

Back