Pickle Juice?

Hillbilly BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Watching YouTube today, a video popped up from Toms Test Kitchen on Franklins Brisket. In here he talked about spritzing with Pickle juice. One discrepancy I see with Franklin is that I understand that he cooks brisket at 275-300ish, not 250.

Anyone use pickle juide? And Dawg, I know this isnt part of your recipe, I am just asking :)

[ame]https://youtu.be/-zuyv7Hv10k[/ame]

Never spritz with pickle juice but I have tried the pickle juice and mustard slather.

Never spritz with pickle juice but I have tried the pickle juice and mustard slather.

I use the same slather... but adding a few shakes of Worcestershire.

Slightly off topic, but I make a homemade mustard concoction and it has pickle juice in it for thinning. Good combination of flavor.

I just saw John Lewis of La Barbecue on Food Network the other day and he uses the Pickle Juice mixed with yellow mustard as a binder for the rub he applies. I'm not sure about using it in a spritz.

I had Franklin's Brisket this past summer and I swear there was a citrus/Lemon taste to the meat. Not sure what he is putting on the meat, but it is very well done.

I use pickle Juice once in awhile. I mostly use Apple cider or juice

I DON'T SPRTIZ SPRAY OR OTHERWISE DEFILE MY BBQ!! Now ask your self what is pickle juice?? Vinegar infused with dill & salt so it may add a little pop from the vinegar and some dill flavor IDK. I like pickled jalapenos with my Brisket.

Don't know about spritzing but it's used as a chaser in some cases, doesn't go well with tequila I can tell you that much, but google pickle back.

Make sense to me. Franklin sets out pickles as a side every day why waste the pickle juice. I have thinned BBQ sauce with it many times. Its vinegar

I just saw John Lewis of La Barbecue on Food Network the other day and he uses the Pickle Juice mixed with yellow mustard as a binder for the rub he applies. I'm not sure about using it in a spritz.

I had Franklin's Brisket this past summer and I swear there was a citrus/Lemon taste to the meat. Not sure what he is putting on the meat, but it is very well done.

Yeah I followed Lewis's method for my last brisket cook. Did the mustard slather and I use the sweet/spicy pickle juice; so very little dill taste to these pickles. I'm hooked on these bad boys. There is an interview floating around some where and he basically says if anyone tells you they are using only S&P on their brisket they are lying. A nice dig on Franklin for whatever reason.

I tried spritzing my beef ribs with pickle juice recently, and for my palate it really opened up the flavor. Previously my usual was to spritz with half-strength apple cider vinegar, but to me the difference is worth the switch, especially since I seem to always have a half empty jar of pickles in the fridge.

Awhile back when DeGuerre went off the deep end & started saucing things, I posted a few ideas for him to try.....here's one of the few times I'll use a tomato-based BBQ sauce....mixed w/ pickle juice in a foil pack for the first part of the cook, then layered on with the cooked juice thru most of the end...........

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189387

I mark'em w/ a pickle so you can tell the difference from ordinary ribs.....

Pre-StuporBowl036.jpg

I love some pickle juice in my chicken brine

Back