When are the beef ribs done?

-Chris-

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Chris
Christmas eve dinner voted by my kids was pork ribs. I threw a rack of beef ribs on for Daddy.

I cooked the 3 bone rack for 5.5 hours on my Yoder at 275. I started spritzing with water/Worcestershire sauce at the 4 hour mark. I also had a water pan in the smoker. It was in the 50s and humid.

I went for a "quick" drink at a buddy's house and when I came home at the 5.5 hour mark, they appeared to "probe like butter" and were anywhere from 209-220 degrees internal temp. I panicked, pulled them off, and tented them with foil for 30-45 minutes while we prepared everything else.

When served, the bottom/edges were crusty as expected as I cooked on the lower rack of the Yoder. The meat was delicious and moist, but there was still visable fat. Some of it was pull-apart tender like I expect with a short rib, but some was still not fully rendered!

I watched Franklins video and he swears up and down that he cooks naked and just spritz at 285 degrees for 6 hours or so.

Franklin stopped by Muellers BBQ and I saw that they wrapped their beef ribs in plastic wrap!

What do you guys do to get super mushy beef ribs with little visible fat? Do I just need to cook a little longer? Do I need to wrap in foil? I could steam, but that would ruin the bark.

I have made beef rib pastrami a bunch of times and the steaming phase at the end always takes care of tenderness for me.

Thanks
Chris

I'm not shooting for mushy ribs. Just foil them for hours if you want mush. And if the fat is thick enough to trim off then do so - make it go away. Having said that I cook beef ribs at just under 300 - 4 hours for back, and 6 hours for belly. It's the only thing that cooks by time and temp, and it works perfectly every time. I don't usually divulge this information because nobody listens - but they sure do eat!

I've had luck with using the 3-2-1 method and wrapping in butcher paper. My pit temp is in the 225 to 250 range, and I only spritz at the wrap stage with whatever lager is at hand.

I like my beef ribs just the way ya cooked them. I buy choice or select so I'm familiar with the non-rendered fat yet worried about...I wouldn't worry about. If I was I would braise them all day....one day maybe, but not any day soon.

-D

I've had luck with using the 3-2-1 method and wrapping in butcher paper. My pit temp is in the 225 to 250 range, and I only spritz at the wrap stage with whatever lager is at hand.

These were choice. They were trimmed really well from the butcher so I just rubbed and tossed them on the pit. The outside fat rendered perfectly down, it was the fat inside that will still there.

I considered wrapping, but the silly ribs were 5" thick as they retracted from the bones. I also wanted to see if I could get them done upwrapped.

D:
I am not worried about the fat, I just don't like the texture. I like shortribs when they just fall apart.

I have another rack, maybe I will try wrapping with some liquid to braise them a bit.

Please keep the ideas coming!

Chris

Some of them just have a bunch of fat and it’s about impossible to render all of it. I cook them to the tenderness that I like and sometimes there’s fat that doesn’t render. Just the way it goes. You can fix some of it with trimming though.

I didn’t wrap beef ribs. Like another poster said, sometimes you’re just going to have extremely fatty ribs and you won’t get all the fat rendered. Maybe if you did like a restaurant and had extended hold times you could.

I didn’t wrap beef ribs. Like another poster said, sometimes you’re just going to have extremely fatty ribs and you won’t get all the fat rendered. Maybe if you did like a restaurant and had extended hold times you could.

I have a CVAP, maybe I need to leave them in there for a few hours? I didn't really think about that.

Chris

Back