SRF Burnt Ends

P

pharp

I hope everyone is having a great week. I cook SRF Gold for comps but can't afford to really practice with them. The last three times out I have not turned in burnt ends because they did not have the "melt in your mouth" I was looking for. I know you don't have to turn them in and all that, but if I am spending that amount of money I would prefer to turn them in if I can get them right. The point probed tender and I even said on the last one..."When you think it is done, let it go another 30 min just to be sure." I know there is a lot of fat in those points. I don't have this issue with the primes I am practicing with. There is something I need to modify with these Golds that I am just missing when it comes to the point. Thanks in advance.

Are you separating or cooking whole? I had issues cooking whole, when I started separating the point while trimming and treating it like 2 separate pieces of meat it was much better for me.

I seperate them. Would it be fair to say that if you can slice the point into clean cubes without it falling apart or shredding that it isn't over cooked? I don't want mush but I know I could have taken them longer and still had no issues slicing.

If your prime burnt ends are turning out good, have you considered cooking a prime point and Waygu flat until you get it figured out on the Waygu?

Actually I have thought about it! I am going to make one more go this weekend and cook the point like crazy.
If your prime burnt ends are turning out good, have you considered cooking a prime point and Waygu flat until you get it figured out on the Waygu?

I've heard and also in my experience, the gold points are TOO fatty for a suitable BE.
I agree with what Wood Fire Steel says, if you have the access and the means, cook a
SRF flat and a prime point.

How are you cooking them? I've found with really fatty point, it's got to cook lots longer than the flat. Wrapping it and juicing it doesn't let the fat render. You've got to let the fat cook out.

That makes sense. I cook the point longer, but the extra time is always at the end when wrapped. I will try giving the point more time before wrapping to see if that gets me where I want. Will you be in Stuttgart this weekend?
How are you cooking them? I've found with really fatty point, it's got to cook lots longer than the flat. Wrapping it and juicing it doesn't let the fat render. You've got to let the fat cook out.

Yes. I didn't really care for the point or the flat with them. I know they are good but I just didn't like them compared to the golds (the flats anyways).
Have you considered just cooking SRF Blacks?

I hope everyone is having a great week. I cook SRF Gold for comps but can't afford to really practice with them. The last three times out I have not turned in burnt ends because they did not have the "melt in your mouth" I was looking for. I know you don't have to turn them in and all that, but if I am spending that amount of money I would prefer to turn them in if I can get them right. The point probed tender and I even said on the last one..."When you think it is done, let it go another 30 min just to be sure." I know there is a lot of fat in those points. I don't have this issue with the primes I am practicing with. There is something I need to modify with these Golds that I am just missing when it comes to the point. Thanks in advance.

Shoot I just realized who you are! You don't need no brisket advise from me lol

Shoot I just realized who you are! You don't need no brisket advise from me lol

You are becoming quite a good cook yourself. Sometimes a person just needs a nugget from someone so don't sell your opinions short.

I like the idea of cooking it longer outside the foil first then letting it go longer.

That makes sense. I cook the point longer, but the extra time is always at the end when wrapped. I will try giving the point more time before wrapping to see if that gets me where I want. Will you be in Stuttgart this weekend?

I'll be the Razorback red van with the red cooker!

Last weekend because of rain I missed my wrap time. I didn't seal up the burnt ends until they were cooked thru and cut about 2 hours later. The foil packet still stayed in the cooker.

Last year we cooked blacks and golds (we switched to gold when the quality of the black decreased). I found that we had to cook the point on the gold a lot longer than we did on the black. I also found that I preferred the point on the black over the point on the gold due to the fat content. I would just cook them a lot longer.

Congrats Candy! The extra time on the front end before wrapping solved my problem. Thanks for the tip!!
I'll be the Razorback red van with the red cooker!

Last weekend because of rain I missed my wrap time. I didn't seal up the burnt ends until they were cooked thru and cut about 2 hours later. The foil packet still stayed in the cooker.

We trim the point to about the same thickness as the flat leaving 1/4 inch or so fatcap on the bottom. When the flat is to texture...so is the point. That's our method...works for us! Best of luck...:cool:

Back