HELP! What is the Best Way To Safely Thaw a Roasting Pig?

DavidJohnson101

Reaction score
I need some help. It's Friday and I just picked up a small roasting pig (54 pounds) from a local distributor. I'm roasting it on Sunday and it's frozen solid. I asked them to make sure to thaw it in their walk-in and was assured that it would be. I got it home and was ready to brine it and it's frozen solid.

Is there any chance that It will be ready to throw in the La Caja China on Sunday? If so, what the best and safest way to thaw the pig?

Thaw it in cold water in a bath tub. Scrub your bath tub really well. Rinse it out extremely well. Fill with COLD water. Change every 1-2 hours.

Thaw it in cold water in a bath tub. Scrub your bath tub really well. Rinse it out extremely well. Fill with COLD water. Change every 1-2 hours.

I bought a large cooler just to brine it in, so I put it in there. I do have a probe that I can set an alarm for and will make sure that it doesn't get above 40 degrees, as Alton Brown mentions in the article that THoey1963 shared.

zIDp8rR.jpg

Seems to be doing good. My plan was to brine and then marinate today. That's not going to happen so I'll be injecting it before going into the La Caja China. Thank you for the assist, guys!

Back