BBQ recommendations in Huntsville AL

drallan81

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'll be on travel for the next few days and need restaurant recommendations for Huntsville AL near the army base. Also open to other ideas as well, not sure the group I'm with will do bbq every night! Only stuff around the hotel is generic chains.

Any suggestions?

Big Bob Gibson's is near the base. Famous for their white BBQ sauce.

I would avoid Dreamland- I don't know how that place stays in business. Grilled ribs.

I stop in and buy quarts of their sauce all the time because the sauce is excellent. Every time I've eaten there the BBQ was awful.

Big Bob Gibson's is usually pretty good. Ribs and pulled pork I had there were fair. Ribs were better but the pulled was dry. Chicken and turkey are usually good. Brisket just fair.

It's tough to cook the quantities they do and be good and consistent. Chris Lilly isn't serving contest quality meat in the dining room so don't fall for that hype. The lobby is full of trophies but that's not what you're buying.

Love the white sauce.

By all means please report back after your trip with some reviews so I'll know if there are better joints there.

My recommendations:
Madison - Chuckwagon
Huntsville- Moe's Original
Decatur - Big Bob Gibson's

Other's to consider:
Greenbrier BBQ
306 BBQ

For other recommendations, check out Po' Boy Factory, good Cajun food. Blue Plate Diner - great meat and three restaurant. Rosie's Cantina - Mexican.

Oh! Mexican!

There's a Cantina Laredo in Huntsville. Awesome Mex food and margaritas.

It's a chain but a great one. Great happy hour food and drink deals. Not far from the arsenal.

Yes, Cantina Learedo is good, but I prefer Rosie's.
I'd pass on Dreamland also, unless you just want to try something "different".
I also think Big Bob Gibson's is over rated also BJ's Brewhouse is has good food and craft beer. There are a few other good restaurants in the Bridgestreet town center. If you're into craft beer, I recommend you check out Yellow Hammer Brewery and Straight to Ale brewery (right next door to each other), very cool place to hang out and good pizza.

My recommendations:
Madison - Chuckwagon
Huntsville- Moe's Original
Decatur - Big Bob Gibson's

Other's to consider:
Greenbrier BBQ
306 BBQ

For other recommendations, check out Po' Boy Factory, good Cajun food. Blue Plate Diner - great meat and three restaurant. Rosie's Cantina - Mexican.

I hoped somebody local would chime in. Been to Rosie's and it is good. I will be checking out those suggestions ASAP.

Growing up in Decatur we would drive by Big Bobs to get to Whitts.

Old Greenbrier Restaurant; some still call it Greenbrier BBQ, but that is not the name.
27028 Old Hwy. 20; been there since 1952; www.oldgreenbrier.com
Madison, AL
great hushpuppies! their own white sauce; I think better than others.
pulled pork served with no sauce; white, red/tomato, and vinegar base sauces on the table. Good fried catfish.

Back