London & UK

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Anybody know where the good eats are at in London?

I have a pretty good idea of the drill in the UK - Chinese & Indian food are good - great actually, there are good and bad fish & chips to be had (I'll hopefully be eating a lot of the good stuff), etc. We're up for pretty much any kind of food.

We'll be going to Barbacoa (a Jamie Oliver/Adam Perry Lang spot), but other than that, we have no specific places we know of to check out.

Also, if anybody knows anyplace in Conwy in N. Wales, York, or in or near Edinburgh Scotland, I'd love to hear about that too.

Thanks!

If you like Indian food ( curries and such like) Brick lane is well know for it. If you want try something different at the end of Brick lane there are 2 bagel shops/ bakeries that are open 24/7 and have been there for about 100 years. Food is good there for something to grab and go. It's all bagels with different fillings. They are well known for their salt beef and English mustard really delicious.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
We do like Indian food and bagels as well - sounds like Brick lane is something to check out - thanks!

I haven't spent much time in the UK in years. The food improved there drastically a few decades ago when they made a conscious effort to improve pub food. It can be hit and miss though, which is frustrating because the costs are high. I do still remember some of the best lamb I got was in the Victoria Railway Station in Nottingham some 20 years ago. I believe my last meal in London was at Gordon Ramsay's in Heathrow last spring. I had to transfer and had some time. It was expensive and forgettable.

• Thanks
It also is interesting to get classic dishes that you think you know. I remember getting Chinese food in Amsterdam with some Dutch friends years ago. One dish was a small pork roast that we sliced and ate. It had a sour sauce that was different from anything I had before. I asked what it was as I'd never had it before. My host looked at me strangely and said it was probably the most popular Chinese dish, sweet-and-sour pork. Well, in the US too, but the two dishes were not the same at all! Tried the same thing in Ireland and it also was a roast.

• Thanks
Bump!

Heading out Monday - who's got the killer watery beans and greasy boiled sausage? :heh:

I've got some places spotted out, but would like to see if anybody's got some recommendations.

Is it a good or bad idea to try haggis while in Scotland? :noidea:

No help with the food but I have relatives on the Orkney Islands. The Scotch there will curl your hair. :twitch:
Have a safe trip Greg!

Bump!

Heading out Monday - who's got the killer watery beans and greasy boiled sausage? :heh:

I've got some places spotted out, but would like to see if anybody's got some recommendations.

Is it a good or bad idea to try haggis while in Scotland? :noidea:

If you are going to be in Scotland try the traditional haggis that is either homemade or by a butcher. The store bought ones are ok not great though. I love the haggis.

Enjoy your trip.

If you are going to be in Scotland try the traditional haggis that is either homemade or by a butcher. The store bought ones are ok not great though. I love the haggis.

Enjoy your trip.

I will check it out then for sure! I'll probably be getting it in a restaurant. We'll be in Edinburgh for a couple days, with a quick trip to Kirriemuir to see Bon Scott's statue. I've heard about haggis for a long time & I wanna try it.

I've been scoping out where to get fish & chips everywhere we go. I'll probably be eating that every single day at least once - kinda like doing a fish & chips cleanse. :shocked:

I forgot to say. You must try a deep fried mars bar. You can get them at a fish and chip shop in Edinburgh. If you like chocolate you'll like this.

• Thanks
I forgot to say. You must try a deep fried mars bar. You can get them at a fish and chip shop in Edinburgh. If you like chocolate you'll like this.

Do you know the name of this spot? I'll be in Edinburgh next week.

I plan on eating fish and chips at least once a day for the next couple weeks. :whoo:

There's no specific name. Just ask for deep fried mars bar. You might have to go into a few different fish and chips shops to find it. I know there is a few places that do it near the castle where the Edinburgh military tattoo is held every year.

• Thanks

Enjoy your trip.

Another haggis-lover here! Costco in Scotland sells them and they are ok, but not as good as homemade or by the butcher. Do NOT get the vegetarian haggis. It's an abomination. :tsk:

• Thanks
There's no specific name. Just ask for deep fried mars bar. You might have to go into a few different fish and chips shops to find it. I know there is a few places that do it near the castle where the Edinburgh military tattoo is held every year.

Just now got to Edinburgh, we're right by the castle. I will be checking it out! Thanks!

BTW - we're loving our trip here. The UK is a fantastic, beautiful, and fascinating place. We hope to return again and again. I knew I would like it, but I didn't know I'd like it this much.

Last edited:
The Greg I've met is far from lazy (maybe hosting a Bash and a huge party the same weekend was a factor) but sounds like y'all are having a great time and will look forward to your pictures.

Alrighty - a little Edinburgh food pron.

Last night we stopped by this place. It came recommended and looked good and was very convenient.

IMG_6719.jpg

All they have is roast pork sammiches. I got one with haggis and no sauce. It was farkin excellent. Not smoky like BBQ but just very nice roast pork on great bread.

IMG_6716.jpg

IMG_6662.jpg

And tonight at a place downstairs from where we're staying called Mussel and Steak Bar, I started off with some filo haggis thingy that was farkin delicious:

IMG_6722.jpg

Along with a bunch of seafood:

IMG_6723.jpg

And fries fried in tallow - excellent.

IMG_6725.jpg

Didn't get pix of the sticky toffee pudding, but it was also amazing.

Did not get fish and chips up here, but had some in Wales that were great and some in London that were pretty good. Hope to have more tomorrow night in London.

Oh yeah - scones with cream - if I lived here I'd totally be a big fat fark. No question.

Anybody know where the good eats are at in London?

I have a pretty good idea of the drill in the UK - Chinese & Indian food are good - great actually, there are good and bad fish & chips to be had (I'll hopefully be eating a lot of the good stuff), etc. We're up for pretty much any kind of food.

We'll be going to Barbacoa (a Jamie Oliver/Adam Perry Lang spot), but other than that, we have no specific places we know of to check out.

Also, if anybody knows anyplace in Conwy in N. Wales, York, or in or near Edinburgh Scotland, I'd love to hear about that too.

Thanks!
Went to London past July. Texas Joe's was good. Wound up going twice. Has a pretty good creeekstone brisket. Also the pork spares are good. Joe the owner is a nice guy too. Worth a try for sure.

• Thanks
Back