Smoking pork belly for banh mi sandwiches

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've had amazing pork belly sandwiches from two places near where I live in SoCal, and the best one is a Vietnamese banh mi made with smoky pork belly, tangy pickled carrots and daikon and cilantro and fresh jalapenos.

I want to work on smoking the pork belly first. I don't want to make bacon -
I want to make smoked pork belly to slice for sandwiches. What's the best technique? Do I just season and smoke low and slow? Or do I still try some sort of dry brine or other cure before I smoke it?

Thanks in advance

I love Bahn Mi....

I would not brine.
Season, cook low and slow, put a drip pan underneath.

The last pork belly I did, I did on indirect fire on a 18" weber and then forgot about it as I had visitors coming.
Turned out to be one of the best ones I ever had.
Thinking of that, I did marinate in soy and fish sauce.....

I love Bahn Mi....

I would not brine.
Season, cook low and slow, put a drip pan underneath.

The last pork belly I did, I did on indirect fire on a 18" weber and then forgot about it as I had visitors coming.
Turned out to be one of the best ones I ever had.
Thinking of that, I did marinate in soy and fish sauce.....

Similar. I marinate in hoisin, soy sauce, rice wine vin, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes and green onion. Smoked at around 250-275 for about 5hrs til probe tender. There is so much fat it really does probe like butter.

After slicing I'd put on a flattop or griddle and crisp up for the sandwich.

The pickled veggies...

Hey, can you post your recipe for the pickled veggies that go on those sammiches?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

I season heavily and cook at 275 till probe tender. I chill it and then slice it. I like to cut it thick and pan sear it. Taste awesome that way great on sandwiches in tacos or just eating on a plate. MMM good.

Back