Marinated Ribs...

MattGoose

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The local butcher sells half racks of marinated baby back ribs, which I can't quite wrap my head around.

I think they are intended for cooking in the oven, but was thinking about throwing some on the pellet.

I have no idea if/how that would change cooking time/temp.

Any thoughts? Maybe 300 for a 2-3 hours to start? Just seems like it would be a different cooking profile than non-marinated ribs?

Do you know what the ribs are marinated in?

Yeah, it's what I would consider normal for steak tips or chicken breast.

They also do pre-marinated chicken wings, so I have the same question for those.

Answer could be as simple as - stop overthinking it stupid. But, I'm usually the only BBQ eater in the house so I'd be thrilled if I could grab a half rack and just throw them on.

Yeah, it's what I would consider normal for steak tips or chicken breast.

They also do pre-marinated chicken wings, so I have the same question for those.

Answer could be as simple as - stop overthinking it stupid. But, I'm usually the only BBQ eater in the house so I'd be thrilled if I could grab a half rack and just throw them on.

OK, but what is the ingredient profile? Is it primarily oil based with herbs? How salty is it? For example, if there's a high sugar content, you're going to want to keep temps lower, because the sugar will burn at higher temps. Too many unanswered questions to give you an informed answer right now.

If you haven't purchased the marinated ribs yet, maybe it might be worth considering trying it on chicken to see if you even like the flavor profile.

OK, but what is the ingredient profile? Is it primarily oil based with herbs? How salty is it? For example, if there's a high sugar content, you're going to want to keep temps lower, because the sugar will burn at higher temps. Too many unanswered questions to give you an informed answer right now.

If you haven't purchased the marinated ribs yet, maybe it might be worth considering trying it on chicken to see if you even like the flavor profile.

Very interesting point... I don't know what's in the marinade, but they are not oil/herb based. They are the thick, opaque style ones you often see in butcher cases.

I think best best it to grab a half rack, wipe them down, and throw them on around 250 and check every now and then.

Thanks!

Very interesting point... I don't know what's in the marinade, but they are not oil/herb based. They are the thick, opaque style ones you often see in butcher cases.

I think best best it to grab a half rack, wipe them down, and throw them on around 250 and check every now and then.

Thanks!

Honest question, and not being snarky:

Why not find out what's in the marinade before you buy the ribs? You may not even like the flavor profile. if it's a salad dressing type marinade, I think you can do much better on your own.

If you're really curious about what marinated ribs taste like, you could look up some recipes that appeal to your taste preference and give that a go. That way, you have an idea what the finished product will taste like.

I've done marinated ribs a number of times over the years - I've tried both Mexican and Tuscan/Italian inspired wet rubs that were quite flavorful and delicious. Also, there's the ever popular Chinese style Char Siu BBQ ribs. Just my $.01.

I tried marinating ribs once years ago based on a Myron Mixon recipe. It wasn’t my thing and haven’t ever really thought of it since but it was probably mainly the flavor profile of that recipe I didn’t care for.

As others have said maybe find out the flavor profile of the marinade is. Now that I think of it a Kalbi style marinated grilled rib may be tasty.

Honest question, and not being snarky:

Why not find out what's in the marinade before you buy the ribs? You may not even like the flavor profile. if it's a salad dressing type marinade, I think you can do much better on your own.

If you're really curious about what marinated ribs taste like, you could look up some recipes that appeal to your taste preference and give that a go. That way, you have an idea what the finished product will taste like.

I've done marinated ribs a number of times over the years - I've tried both Mexican and Tuscan/Italian inspired wet rubs that were quite flavorful and delicious. Also, there's the ever popular Chinese style Char Siu BBQ ribs. Just my $.01.

Sorry - day came and went and I haven't had a chance to get by the store yet.

No problem with the question at all :)

Because I have like 5 free minutes to myself these days and am the only consistent BBQ eater in the house. My son eats pulled pork and chicken wings, so trying to expand his horizons a bit.

Right now, he does best with lots of small exposures, so the half racks that are ready to throw on the grill are a great option for him to try new stuff and me to try new techniques.

I know they sell a ton of them too, so there's a decent chance they are pretty darn good!

I tried marinating ribs once years ago based on a Myron Mixon recipe. It wasn’t my thing and haven’t ever really thought of it since but it was probably mainly the flavor profile of that recipe I didn’t care for.

As others have said maybe find out the flavor profile of the marinade is. Now that I think of it a Kalbi style marinated grilled rib may be tasty.

I love marinated steak and chicken and the like, so these could be great too.

Just trying not to screw up the cooking process :)

If they are anything like what we can get, protect your grates.
Wings and ribs from our butchers are high in sugar but taste awesome

Back