Can pellets go bad

What brand pellets? Have you looked to see if there are any "fillers/binders/glue" in the pellets or are they 100% wood?

Also, are you certain that an animal did not "leave their mark" in your pellets?

Thanks qapla, I dumped the pellets in the bin and threw away the bag, so I don’t know. I think I purchased them at Cabelas. And yes I’m pretty sure no animal left their mark.

Thanks All for you replies, I don’t think it’s an air flow problem because I’ve used this same setup before with good result. I’m going to get ride of the pellets. I just placed an order for a sampler pack from Cookinpellets.com. When I get these I’ll maybe double bag them and keep in the house.

i keep pellets for years without a problem. they are in the top of my shed which is way above 40*. ;)

do NOT store them on concrete..they will eventually absorb moisture from the concrete. If you have to leave them on the floor, store on a pallet or something to raise them up.

Pellet contamination.

Pellets stored in their plastic bags with the zipper tightly closed and stored off the cement or dirt should last forever. It's sawdust with a cellulose binder. No petroleum product is used in them. (Unless they came from China) No chemical smells should come from extruded sawdust pellets.

If they soaked up something from where they were stored would cause the smell, or as others have said a closed smoke chamber or even goo in the grill can taint your smoky goodness.

My buddy bought a palate of pellets 4 years ago and had a number of them stacked up in his garage. The ones on the bottom managed to pull moisture out of the concrete and turn to dust. The ones above grade were just fine. That was an expensive lesson!

i keep pellets for years without a problem. they are in the top of my shed which is way above 40*. ;)

do NOT store them on concrete..they will eventually absorb moisture from the concrete. If you have to leave them on the floor, store on a pallet or something to raise them up.

I store them on my concrete slab but i keep them in plastic water tight bins on rollers. So far i have not noticed any swelling or condensation on the bottom of the bins.

Back