Go to Smoked Chicken

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I get requests every year for Smoked Turkey and this year I was asked if I would smoke up some chickens
I used my Turkey recipe and method and this is what we did!

No excitement in making the brine or injecting the birds. All birds were pumped full of brine on Friday night and then stuffed in a cooler with frozen ice bottles and topped off with brine for a 12 hour soak.

This is them opened up on Saturday and ready to bag and hang

View attachment 144048

I used to just tie them up and hang but sometimes the arms and legs would be in full flight position at the end of the smoke. Fellow Brethren Chris (Oifmarine2003) sent me some stockinet’s to try and I now use them every time. Here they are hanging before the fire is started.

View attachment 144049

Time to light the fire

View attachment 144050

And get smoking

View attachment 144051

Elly May Approves and stands guard!

View attachment 144052

A few hours into the smoke

View attachment 144053

Taking on the smoke nicely

View attachment 144054

Just about done – Need to get to 165° internal

View attachment 144055

Done and removed from the smokehouse

View attachment 144056

Cooling before refrigeration

View attachment 144057

Gotta have one for a taster

View attachment 144058

This was sooooo good we just sliced off hunks and ate with our fingers! (I love this Old Hickory garbage sale knife find!)

View attachment 144059

This morning we wanted Chicken sammiches. The meat was still very moist even when cold

View attachment 144060

Slightly toasted bread, Mayo, spicy mustard, Cheddar cheese, Chicken, Avocado, Sweet spicy pickles, onions, and pickled jalapenos.

View attachment 144061

Plated in our finest China with MSD’s tatoe salad sprinkled with Johnny’s Salad Elegance

View attachment 144062

This Sammich did not suck – I will have more of these babies!

View attachment 144063

Thanks for Lookin
SD

Last edited:
Oh yeah! looks amazing, nice work.:thumb:

Awesome! :clap2:
I gotta build me one of those smokehouses. Or see if Jeannie will build me one. :heh:

Awesome! :clap2:
I gotta build me one of those smokehouses. Or see if Jeannie will build me one. :heh:

Thanks Brad, They are a lot of fun and you can do a lot with them. There are many smaller ones too.

Jeannie's always looks so pristine. I don't know how it stays so clean looking?

Oh my, that all looks amazin. I have to try netting birds. The look it give them is fantastic.

Just plain WOW!

Thanks - A bunch of birds hanging always looks good

Oh my, that all looks amazin. I have to try netting birds. The look it give them is fantastic.

Thank you Adam - Yes, besides keeping everything all tucked in nice, it give a cool looking cross hatch that is very tasty looking. They say we first taste with our eyes?

Perfect weather here to try that,Love the look of it,
Never had smoked chicken

I love that smokehouse...you just have to throw sticks on the fire like every hour like a stickburner?

Great looking birds!! Glad the netting is working out for you!!

Hey Chris - How is it going buddy? Hope and the family are doing well! - Them boys keeping you on your toes?

I love that smokehouse...you just have to throw sticks on the fire like every hour like a stickburner?

Thanks - Yes pretty much. I run a remote thermo on the deck so I can see at a glance if the temp is rising, dropping, or staying steady without going out to the smokehouse. Once you get it lined out, just doing the same thing at the same interval keeps it running smooth

Back