UDS (vertical) v/s RF Offset (horizontal)

WombleNC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a 85 gallon UDS which I love but I am thinking out building a Patio size RF offset. Now the big UDS has done a great job but I have a few reasons for kicking this idea around.

1.) Easier access to the food I am cooking
2.) Easier access to the coals / fire
3.) I can get or already have the materials to build
4.) I need another project and who doesn't need another cooking machine.

What I need is Pros and Cons for both.
Which one is easier to use?
Which one needs less baby sitting?
Can you use Charcoal on an offset for long cooks?
Can you use a BBQ Guru type devise on an offset?
If I build a offset and find I don't want it could I sell it and recoupe my time and material?

Any info is much appreciated!!
Thanks in advance
J

This is going to be good. We just thru with the UDS vs WSM and now we have the UDS vs Offset. Who wants to challenge the UDS next???:boxing:

UDS has a unique flavor from drippings on the fire and is pretty much set it and forget it
Offset is supposed to be the best flavor but will need to be fed ever 45-60 mintes

UDS is easier to use

UDS needs less babysitting

You can use charcoal on an offset but some will tell you that you shouldn't

You can use a BBQ Guru but I think it is not too common with offsets because the fuel doesn't last as long and sort of defeats the purpose of the Guru. Unless you are using charcoal in a snake/maze.

Recoupe...that is hard to gauge. Depends on how well you build it, size, appearance and how much you have invested in it.

My answers inline below...

What I need is Pros and Cons for both.
Which one is easier to use? UDS
Which one needs less baby sitting? UDS
Can you use Charcoal on an offset for long cooks? Sure, but it won't last as long as in a UDS.
Can you use a BBQ Guru type devise on an offset? It's been done, but the offset would have to be pretty air tight.
If I build a offset and find I don't want it could I sell it and recoupe my time and material? Probably not, but it depends on how much you value your time.

Wood is the only practical thing for offsets and offsets need babysitting but that's the beauty of them....tending your fire is what makes BBQ special imo.

Build the offset and keep the drum...There'll ALWAYS be room for both and they both have their purpose. I'd definitely not look at it as pros and cons but all pros!

I like it ! And going from UDS to this makes sense....... :mrgreen:

Well I have forund this post helpfull. I love the simplicity and the way the uds cooks but I too want a better/easier way to get to the food instead of layering racks. Didn't know all this stuff about offsets. Doesn't sound like it's something I want. I also want something that works like a uds but is easier to get to the coals and food.
pjtexas1
thats an interesting unit in your avitar. looks like a uds with acsess to the food and coals. Do you have any pictures and info on that. Looks like something I am looking for.

Well I have forund this post helpfull. I love the simplicity and the way the uds cooks but I too want a better/easier way to get to the food instead of layering racks. Didn't know all this stuff about offsets. Doesn't sound like it's something I want. I also want something that works like a uds but is easier to get to the coals and food.
pjtexas1
thats an interesting unit in your avitar. looks like a uds with acsess to the food and coals. Do you have any pictures and info on that. Looks like something I am looking for.

Forget the one in pjtexas1 avatar - from what I hear it's the only one that ever came finished 100%

You want a Humphreys.

They are insulated cabinet smokers and they run like a UDS - they are several companies that make them - Study this for a few months:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186946

http://www.humphreysbbq.com/smokers/testing

Last edited:
I'm wanting to build one not buy one. anyone here build one like that

I'm wanting to build one not buy one. anyone here build one like that
It is essentially a rectangular, double-walled UDS. Pack the void space between the walls with insulation, make a front panel with a firebox door and a cook chamber door and VOILA! Ease of operation of a UDS and non-UDS style ease of access!

pjtexas1
thats an interesting unit in your avitar. looks like a uds with access to the food and coals. Do you have any pictures and info on that. Looks like something I am looking for.

There are several guys that have built them. They make it look easy. Someone will post a link.

Mine is an Abe's Smokers 48" Entertainer. It is a great smoker. It looks great, cooks great and will probably outlast me. But like Smitty said the builder is not reliable. He has barely been in business for more than a year or so. He doesn't always deliver what he promises. He sells a ton of smokers and there are a lot of happy customers but there are also customers that have had to wait on missing pieces. I got in right before his business took off and I would do it again for the price I negotiated. He has made a couple of design changes that me and a few others here suggested. I could have almost bought 2 of them for what it costs for the same size Backwoods Smoker and about $900 less than the Humphrey's Pint (once you add the extras and shipping). I'm a cheap sob and my money is more valuable than my time or patience. Ask my wife....she won't go anywhere near a car dealership with me.:wacko:

It is essentially a rectangular, double-walled UDS. Pack the void space between the walls with insulation, make a front panel with a firebox door and a cook chamber door and VOILA! Ease of operation of a UDS and non-UDS style ease of access!

If I would have know it was that easy I would have built one myself. Wait...does it require any welding skills and/or a welder:confused:

It might be easier to build something like this. I don't use it much any more but it works just like a UDS but it is 1/4" thick 20" x 52" pipe and has all the features you listed. The only changes I would make is to center the exhaust stack, use a ball valve for the intake and add more racks. The top 2 racks are 12" apart. There is a bar to hang sausage and a rack right above the charcoal basket that allows you to grill. This should satisfy Fwismoker's requirements for an all in 1 cooker.:laugh:

Last edited:
It might be easier to build something like this. I don't use it much any more but it works just like a UDS but it is 1/4" thick 20" x 52" pipe and has all the features you listed. The only changes I would make is to center the exhaust stack, use a ball valve for the intake and add more racks. The top 2 racks are 12" apart. There is a bar to hang sausage and a rack right above the charcoal basket that allows you to grill. This should satisfy Fwismoker's requirements for an all in 1 cooker.:laugh:

If you can grill with it too then i approve. :thumb:

Back