Coffee/Spice grinder cleaning, how do you do it?

Pyle's BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I picked up an older Krups coffe grinder for $2. I used it to gring up some smoked/dried habanero peppers I made. I wiped out the cup, but the blade doesn't come out to clean undernieth it. I was wondering what everyone e se did so there is little pepper residue left in the grinder. I was thinking of running some rice in it. Would that work?

Last edited:
Grind up lemon, orange or lemon. Dump zest or use it. Then run well done fresh toast to remove oils and grounds. Good as new.

Use Minute rice. Regular rice is harder and doesn't do as good of a job.

Or...

You can use this...

Urnex_large.jpg

^^^is that stuff and the minute rice OK for burr grinders?

That can leave salt in the grinder. Maybe OK for spices, but not good for coffee :-D
I always add a pinch of salt to my grounds the salt softens the water and brings out the flavor in the coffee while destroying any bitterness. Try it you might be surprised

I always added salt to the coffee grounds also. For the same reasons Bludawg posted above.

I'll try a little salt in the coffee grounds and try toast to clean the coffee grinder after grinding spices. Saltines and rice works.

I always add a pinch of salt to my grounds the salt softens the water and brings out the flavor in the coffee while destroying any bitterness. Try it you might be surprised

Flashback!! I had forgotten that trick, we used to use some salt in the old large ( 40 cup ) coffee makers. It would also clear up the coffee from being cloudy. Hard to get salt in my K cup maker these days. We used to pour out more coffee at home than we would drink before we got our Keurig. Love it, and it makes some great coffee, flavored if you are into that.

We buy in 80 cup boxes from Sam's, which gives you a cup for about $.50. Cheaper than pouring out a half pot of cold or stale coffee.

Blessings,

Omar

Back